2017 is around the corner and it is probably the best time to speak about goals.
I believe that constantly Setting and Achieving Goals is not for everyone. Personally, I am more of a planner than an improviser. In my mind, a goal is a journey. It does not mean I know my every next step, but having an idea of where I want my journey to take me, is somehow comforting.
Nevertheless, moving towards your destination can get rather stressful. That is why, this time I am sharing my insights on staying minimal on something intangible – setting and Achieving goals.
How to set and achieve your goals:
(1) Be realistic. If you are setting a goal for a new year, make sure it possible to achieve it. Do not choose the easiest way, but do not be harsh on yourself either. A good challenge can always benefit you, however, unachievable can discourage you and might negatively affect your self-esteem, which we do not want to happen. That is why setting a smaller number of goals would be wiser.
(2) Specify. Having a vague goal might leave you wondering where to start. Say you want to learn a new language: what is the language you want to learn? Also, make sure your goals are measurable: what level of knowledge are you aiming to achieve when learning the language? Setting a measurable goal allows us to evaluate whether it was achieved or not later on.
(3) Find a motivation behind it. Let’s say you have set a certain goal. Achieving it is a journey on which you will have your ups and downs. Each time things start to get out of hand, you will look for the easiest way out, which might be quitting. At that very moment, a real motivation behind the goal could help you get back on track.
(4) Share it. It is no surprise we tend to stick to our plan when we have a circle of people supporting us. Friends and family can be a great help on the journey, that is why sharing your goals is important. Share it, but do it wisely. Not all people around you are genuine, so it is better to stay away from those who might plant a seed of doubt in you.
(5) Don’t sweat over it. Achieving your goals will never be easy, however, it should not become an overwhelming experience. Sometimes we overestimate ourselves, but that is a very human thing to do. If things are not going according to your plan, do not sweat over it too much. As long as you are doing your best – it counts.
If you have not set any goals for 2017 yet, keep your eyes peeled for the next week’s post. I will share some ideas how to make the most of a new year.