Now, we know we’ve been talking about a ton of sweet and tasty treats recently here on Foodie Friday! However, summer is a-comin', the sun is officially out and we’re wanting to look our best in those unforgiving swimsuits! We love heading down to the beach with a group of pals, firing up the BBQ, playing some sports and kicking back with a beer to watch the sunset. But we’ve gotta feel good while doing it, right?!
So that’s why we’ve decided to change things up a little! We’ve found a totally tasty yet healthy and filling detox salad for you to try! It’s loaded with antioxidant-rich ingredients like kale, cherries, walnuts, and artichokes, plus it's complemented by a light lemon dressing. It's totally delicious, there's minimal cooking required AND it's really good for you - so you’d be crazy to not want a bowl! Let's start making a Delicious Detox Salad!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ cup uncooked farro or quinoa
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 large or 2 small lemons)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for cooking the farro/quinoa
- 1 large bunch (about 10 to 12 oz.) kale leaves, destemmed and chopped
- 1 cup pitted cherries, halved
- 1, 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 can artichoke hearts (14 oz.), rinsed and sliced into quarters if large
- ½ cup toasted walnut halves, roughly chopped
Here’s what you'll have to do:
- Place the farro or quinoa in a medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the water is absorbed and the farro/quinoa is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a large serving bowl. While the farro cooks, prepare the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, briskly whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon salt until well combined.
- Pour over the warm farro/quinoa, then toss to coat.
- Add the kale, cherries, chickpeas, red onions, and artichokes and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the walnuts over the top.
- If time allows, place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to allow the kale to tenderize.
- Serve and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this super colorful and Delicious Detox salad! Let us know if you try this recipe out and what you thought of it in the comments - we always love hearing your feedback!
See you next week!