While “Keywords” are the key elements to website building and increasing traffic to websites, many website owners do nothing to strengthen them.
Keywords are very important to the placement of a website in Search rankings. These search terms are often taken for granted even though they are a critical component of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) efforts.
The reality of Keywording is a simple concept. Without any keywords for the search engine to index, the search engine results page (SERPS) will have nothing to seek out and find. These keywords are how search engines function. The strongest keywords lead to great search results for a website if used properly. To keep your keywords working for you, you must work your keywords.
You can see the importance of keywords to websites in two ways:
- The placement on the page is the first way. Many major search engines to a certain degree value the placement of the keywords when it comes to determining the strength and placement of the website. There are strategies that must be learned when it comes to proper keyword placement in on and off page content.
- The second way you can see the importance of keywords is by their density on the page. Search engines are powered by algorithms and how many keywords that appear on the page is a huge factor. This makes the choice of keywords very critical. Many of the keywords are highly competitive, so choosing the right ones to appear often on your page is one of the elements that make a web designer successful on a search engine result page.
Keyword Factors For Consideration
Whether its Google, Yahoo, MSN, or others, Each search engine has a different keyword calculation formula. Google is stricter than most in that they lower allowable density levels whereas the others may allow heavier keyword numbers per page. You will see the different affects of the keyword density on each search engine. There are certain modifications that must be given consideration. These include but are not limited to:
- Bolding, Italic, actual keyword type size used for Page Title, and the topics inside the article
- Consideration should definitely be given to the incoming link anchor text to a web page. Remember, any linked off page content is part of the receiving page’s total content.
If executed properly, implementing a system that ensures that both the placement and density of a webpage’s keywords are among its top priorities, will give a website high search result success. The goal of using keywords is to boost your websites rankings. If these factors are not used with your keywords, then you are wasting time and money. Even though a magic formula does not exist, there are still a few basic ideas that should not be overlooked.
What keywords to choose
When choosing A keyword there are different levels of competition for the words. You must take in consideration the following factors while choosing:
- Choose one, two at the most, keywords to focus your energy on. When it comes to a highly competitive keyword situation, focus on one keyword for the topic of any page.
- Long term ranking is the goal to keep in mind. It is imperative to have a concentrated effort on a particular keyword of keyword phrase
- The website’s home page and internal pages should have a different focus, but the overall goal should still be kept in mind when modifying these pages. You can add power to your keywords by having a series of pages that support each other by keeping to the same theme.
- With lower competitive search terms, time and effort should not be wasted on just a single keyword. It is best, in these situations, to target two or three low competition keywords on each page.
- The largest category, perhaps, of keywords that are dealt with are the moderately competitive keywords. A key strategy in the case of these medium level difficulty keywords is to place them all on the home page.
- For the highly competitive keywords, a much more strategic and concentrated effort must be used for these sought after search terms. A heavy competition will call for you to target only one keyword. You will lose the focus of the page’s keyword if you use any more than that. The effort must be put on the one search term that has been deemed important.
- There must also be a significant amount of focused pages created to support the highly competitive keyword. In most cases even having some pages starting on the path to an authority site is necessary.
No matter the level of competition, it is always good to become dominant in as many search terms related to the site’s topic as possible. Once you reach a ranking that you deem successful then focus on the next term. Visitor traffic will increase the more keywords are controlled. Controlling them will open more paths to enter the website.
What Tools Can Help You
Be comforted in knowing that unlike Google, Which only allows for 2%, engines like Yahoo and MSN allow for higher keyword density. It can be as much as 5% of the total words. As you can see that is quite a significant distance between the Google limits and the others. It is up to the webmaster to recognize which tradeoff will be necessary to involve his site with. A smart webmaster will also take in consideration that the copy will have to read well for potential customers and clients. Below are particular strategies that can be applied:
- Titles are a key element in the search engine algorithm. Titles can also serve as a way to display the most sought after keyword on the page. To provide a boost to the page, each page should have a unique title. The most important keyword should be somehow included in the Page Title.
- Have a well linked site map connecting the different supporting pages, to the main targeted page. These links should have an appropriate anchor text, emphasizing the main keyword. The supporting pages should each be a part of the overall theme and provide additional keywords for the focus page.
- Encourage your linking partners to use link anchor text that contains your targeted keywords. Try to strong anchor text from as many incoming links as possible to get your page to appear in the search rankings at all.
- Be careful not to trigger any link text filters by using all identical wording. It is highly unlikely that all inbound links will contain the same link text, but is important to keep the potential triggering in mind.
- In Yahoo and MSN search rankings, Bolding keywords seems to help. Google does not seem to be affected by the bolded keywords, but they are affected with larger size fonts.
- By enclosing the most important words in h1 and h2 tags extra keyword density is achieved. This works with all the search engines is the tags are used sparingly.
- Do not overuse the terms. You could lose your search rankings.
- By adding a blog or forum component to a website, one can increase the overall site total of keywords. A blog is usually updated daily. With these regular postings, a significant number of well themed keyword rich pages to the site. A forum can work on its own for your site. The forums visitor traffic adds unlimited keyword laden pages to the website. Forum members provide many keyword rich incoming links. This moves a site closer to authority site status.
- These naturally attracted incoming links, a hallmark of blogs, are usually accompanied by keyword anchor text and theme related sending pages.
By having an effective title, well linked site map, adding blogs and forums to your site, you are already ahead of your competition. These elements while effective, are overlooked by many. A simple task like bolding a keyword may seem like a waste of time, but it can set you apart from being on page 1 or page 5 of a search result page.
The post Keyword Density – SEO Considiration appeared first on SEO & Web Marketing.