Call centers round the globe would support the notion: customers are becoming more demanding with every passing day. They are looking for new options to engage with the brands at their own convenience. None of the modern customers want to wait to have their issues resolved. These are some of the facts that have forced brands to adopt self-service Technology. Self-service was a nascent industry in 2011, with immense prospects. It has grown in the last couple of years to become a key component in customer service. The systems have become more sophisticated and user friendly. This means the customers are having least problems in using them.
Self-service technology is an emerging trend and the businesses have no issues in embracing this technology. This technology helps brands cater to customer needs faster and saves money in the process too. Many surveys conducted in the last few years have supported the growing popularity of self-service technology among the customers. Let us take a look at some of these survey results:
Survey by Nuance Enterprise
- 75% participants in this survey said that self-service was a convenient way to resolve their issues.
- More than 67% of the customers preferred self-service over speaking to the company representatives.
Survey by Coleman Parkes
- The study showed that more than 91% of the customers would use self-service options if it was customized according to their needs.
- It showed that more than 41% of the customers contact a customer contact center only after they have looked for answers using the self-service options.
Benefits of Self-Service Technology in Customer Service
- Cost Reduction: When the customers help themselves, it would definitely save a lot of money for the brand. The self-service infrastructure can cut the costs of having live agents respond to emails and chats or take calls from customers. The cost savings coming from this technology adoption are significant.
- Reduction in Waiting Time: Customers are never ready to wait for their issues to be resolved. When they engage they want immediate results, which are not always possible for any outsource contact center to meet. Due to call volume, the call centers have to introduce ticketing system. The waiting time can be reduced and customer frustration can be diminished when there is a self-service system in place.
- Higher Agent Efficiency: Self-service should be looked upon as an aide of customer services, not a replacement. It helps the agents with their work efficiency. The agents do not have to attend calls asking the same basic questions. They can concentrate on complex matters that are bugging the customers. With less call volume they can concentrate on quality rather than reaching out to the customers.
Why Self-Help Technology is Not a Replacement for Conventional Call Centers Solutions?
Yes, self-help is a craze in the customer support circles but there are major deterrents to it as well.
- Cost: Huge amount of money needs to be invested to come up with an efficient infrastructure for self-help technology. Lot of thought needs to be put in as well. So, it is not possible for one and every business to adopt this customer service boon.
- Basics Covered: Self-help technology has its limitations. It cannot be converted into a sea of knowledge that will cover all the queries. It covers the basic questions that are frequently coming from the customers. If the customer’s problems do not match with the information stored in the system, then the only way is to get in touch with a contact center agent.
- Technology Barrier: Whenever there is a new technology implementation, the common people or the non-geeks do tend to suffer. Similar is the instance with the self-service technology. Not everyone is savvy enough to use all the options and search for their information. So, they have to get in touch with the customer support agents.
As you can see self-help, though claimed to be the greatest thing in customer service, has its own limitations. It can effectively support the call center solutions but cannot replace it. At Gold IT we offer all the customer support services businesses need from outsourced partner. We offer chat support, email support, social media support, customer retention, data analysis and many other helpful services