How to celebrate National Wine Day in 3 easy steps:
- Drink wine.
- Develop a wine preference survey and send it to all your friends.
- Laugh at their responses…while drinking more wine.
As you may recall, we celebrated National Wine Day last month. As I observed countless festive social media posts, received celebratory texts from friends and did a little GIF sourcing of my own (duh)…I couldn’t help but wonder…WHAT’S THE WINE PREFERENCE OF THE MASSES (aka my small pool of pals)?! In typical quantified fashion, I took my questions to a Google Form survey…and then
begged gently encouraged all of my wine enthusiast friends to answer!
First, I inquired about your favorite wine. I created a long list of wine types ranging from sauvignon blanc to pinot noir…
but as it turns out, I missed a few. And now, thanks to the people I’ve learned to rely on…I have discovered the joy of Malbec. Thank you, truly. Second, I asked about what activity you are typically taking part in while drinking said wine. And boy oh boy did you all not disappoint. So here you have it…it’s classy, it’s sophisticated, it’s…
WINE ON MY MIND: A Wine + Activity Pairing
A few things to note about this data viz:
- It’s really pretty…don’t you think it’s like really pretty? Seriously, get in there and hover over the colors for tool tips.
- There were a handful of activity types to choose from, but you are so enthusiastic about your wine time…that more than half of you boldly replied all of the above. Which, in my mind, simply translated to…ya’ll are an impressive set of wine sipping multi-taskers. You’re welcome.
- With writes ins there ended up being about 12 types of wine preferred over our 40+ responses. So we broke those up by white, red and rose…all day…bay-bay…okay. I’ll stop.
This is my second interactive visualization and here’s one big lesson I’ve learned when it comes to coding:
If you don’t use it, you lose it. Wait, make that two lessons…it’s more fun with wine. So I’ll be practicing away, visualizing the data you never knew you needed…while sipping Malbec thanks to you.
Do you have an idea for a lifestyle data collection and visualization? I’d love to hear it! Leave a comment here. Do you find yourself answering our lifestyle data collection surveys pretty regularly? We like you too. Let’s make it official. Join our Everyday Data Team and be part of our community!