Database management is witnessing a significant shift over the last few years, and the center of this shift is the advancement in NoSQL database management systems over the conventional relational SQL databases. Even though people are a bit hectic about the NoSQL concept, there are some significant advantages NoSQL databases got to offer, especially as cloud computing is largely gaining in popularity.
Latest of the NoSQL databases are created to cover up the limitation of NoSQL DBMS technologies. In comparison with the conventional relational databases, NoSQL is easily scalable at any point without the need for additional resources and also cost-effectively.
Along with it, these databases are also capable of offering better performance, and the data management models of NoSQL addresses many longstanding shortcomings of relational database models.
NoSQL advantagesOn a quick review of the major advantages of the NoSQL databases are:
- Ability to handle a huge volume of unstructured, semi-structured, as well as structured data.
- Ability to handle agile sprints, constant code pushes, and quick iteration, etc.
- Support object-oriented coding which is more flexible and easier to use.
- Cheaper, scale-out model architecture compared to the monolithic architecture which is more expensive.
MongoDB as a leading NoSQL databaseOn thinking of NoSQL databases, companies now tend to choose MongoDB to develop the modern-day applications. The reason for the increasing popularity of MongoDB is that it offers many major advantages of the relational databases too along with the latest innovations in NoSQL. However, we need also to consider that it has some shortfalls too when it comes to meeting some specific database requirements, which can be better performed on NoSQL databases.
Why MongoDB?As we know, the universe of data is ever expanding, which had further given rise to the requirements in efficient databases and better DBMS practices. We need optimum performance along with anytime availability and need-based scaling on handling huge volumes of individual data chunks. This is one major reason why MongoDB is adopted by more and more business database administrators to reap the best results.
As is the leading NoSQL database among a handful of its kind, MongoDB has many significant advantages. As we have seen above, unlimited scalability, speed, and high flexibility are the major benefits making it popular in terms of handling a huge volume of data. With these advantages, MongoDB helps the businesses to streamline the data flow, manage their applications in a better manner, and also improve the overall user experience.
A short overview of MongoDBAs RemoteDBA.com points out, MongoDB has an increasing preference over a very short period of time. Many bigger global corporations too with the need for handling huge volumes of data in a quick and agile manner have also adopted MongoDB as their database system. MongoDB is:
- Open source
- Dynamic, and
- Unlike relational databases, the application code in the DB gets mapped to database objects in a document model. This makes data management much easier and quicker.
- The scope of larger geographic distribution, horizontal scaling ability, high any-time availability is built-in features of MongoDB with a distributed database.
- Data analytics which is a mandatory need now in real-time is aggregated at MongoDB with built-in features to do indexing and raise random queries. This enables the users to determine the section-wise performance of the business more effectively.
- The fields in the MongoDB can vary based on the changes in data structure over time. This offers larger flexibility and made possible by using documents which are similar to JSON for storing data.
Businesses sector where MongoDB can be implemented effectivelySome of the major sectors where MongoDB may be the most appropriate database choice include, but not limited to:
Social and mobile infrastructure
- Data hub maintenance
- Content management and content delivery
- Managing user data and effective handling of it.
- Real-time reporting of data for live business functions by recalling data from multiple servers. MongoDB can collect data and delivery out quickly in order to make the real-time business decision-making function more effective.
- The changes and upgrades to your business databases can be much easily and quickly done in real-time with the flexibility and scalability offered by MongoDB.
- Mongo DB can also be very effective in CMS (Content Management Systems). CMS is now widely used for business application development. For those who need high flexibility in database design with fields and parameters changing in different documents, MongoDB can be an ideal choice.
- MongoDB supports a rich object model, where objects of specific properties can be nested with one another in multiple-level database architecture. This model is largely object-oriented to represent all kind of object structures easily. You may also be able to index properties of any objects at different levels of the hierarchy. This is a very powerful feature by MongoDB, making it highly competent for the advanced technology needs.
- The modern-day businesses which implement data collection through a wide range of sensors, which generates an overwhelming volume of data, MongoDB can effectively handle. Traditional RDBMS systems may crash with such huge data flows.