My dog likes to bury his toys in our bed and furniture. Can I teach him to not do this anymore?
Just like circling and digging at bedding before lying down, hiding prized possessions may be an ingrained ritual that comes naturally to some dogs. Your dog’s wild ancestors most likely buried food and other objects to keep predators from getting them, which may account for his desire to hide his toys in your sofa. While certain breeds with object-carrying and digging tendencies, like Dachshunds, may be more prone to this behavior, any Dog can engage in these antics.
Your dog’s efforts to hide his toys may seem funny to you, especially if his hiding places are not all that hidden. My Pug, Bruce, had a habit of saving his favorite chews and hiding them in what he clearly thought were super secret locations — usually underneath the couch cushions or inside blankets or discarded sweatshirts. His diligent efforts to hide his treasures often seemed largely ineffective to my family: Despite frantic digging, scratching and pushing his valuables into the couch or bed, the end result was often that the item was just as visible as it was to begin with. But Bruce was undaunted and always seemed quite satisfied with his hard work — and quite confident no one would unearth his prize.
Curb the Burials
Some dogs will bury things that they are not interested in right now but might want later, while others hide prized possessions that they don’t want to share or lose. Regardless of his motivation, one solution is to offer your dog a chew or toy that he will be excited about playing with right now — a stuffed Kong, for example, or a tug toy that you can use to instigate a game.
You can also try limiting the number of toys available to your dog at any one time. This may help get him excited about playing with the toy he currently has in his possession, rather than hiding it. Routinely rounding up discarded toys and putting them away in a box or basket can help keep them exciting for your dog.
Another option is to redirect your dog away from your furniture when he wants to bury a treasure. Create an indoor digging pit for your pooch — a dog bed filled with blankets and pillows or a covered cat bed both work well. A designated burying area allows your dog to go through his digging routine and hide his treasures without inconveniencing you or endangering your furniture.
Encourage your dog to bury things in his designated area by placing the object near the furniture he currently likes to use as a hiding place (the sofa, or your bed). Teaching your dog to go to his space can also be useful in directing him to his designated digging area. The cue “go to your space” can also be used to redirect your dog if he tries to bury a toy or chew somewhere off-limits. Reward your dog with praise and favorite treats when he hides his things in the right place.
More on Vetstreet:
KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose, Medium Dog Toy, Brown
1 used from $ 15.00
- Minimal filling for minimal mess
- Extra layer of material to increase strength
- Squeaks to help entice play
- Not for chew sessions
- Available in 10 fun characters
Dog Toys Value 5 Pack for Puppy, Small Dogs and Medium Dogs from Dawgeee, Squeaky Toy, Plush Toys, Rope Pet Toys, Dog Chew Toys
- Set of 5 Dog Toys Value Pack | Contains 5 assorted FULL SIZE toys - 1x Butterfly plush dog toy, 1x Groovy Long Dog plush pet toy, 1x Winged Beetle with Ripstop fabric puppy chew toy, 1x No Fluff Raccoon plush dog toy, 1x Tug Bone rope squeaky toy. Ranging in size from 8" - 19.5".
- Value for Money | Discount dog toys are great because they let you save enough money for more great things for your wonderful pet.
- Ideal for Puppies, Small and Medium dogs | These five squeaky chew toys gift set is just what your Doggie ordered. Keep your best friend entertained for hours of exercise and play. Your dog will love fetching, chewing, and tugging on this value pack of pet toys.
- Delivering Quality and Value at an Affordable Price | Dawgeee has been manufacturing dog supplies and pet supplies for the last 5 years.
- Fast and Easy Ordering with Amazon Prime | Colors and characters may vary.
Otterly Pets Puppy Dog Pet Rope Toys For Small to Medium Dogs (Set of 4)
- Four Durable Rope Toys for Chewing and Playing
- Perfect for Dog Toy Tug and Toss Games
- Cotton Fibers Clean Teeth while playing
- Beautiful and vibrant colors - Supplies For Small to Medium Dogs
- We've Rebranded! Xentyx is now Otterly Pets
Providence Engraving Aluminum Pet ID Tags for Cat and Dog
- Premium Quality Anodized Aluminum Pet ID Tags for Dogs and Cats
- To complete your purchase Please Click on customize now
- In the Customization Utility You May Specify Your size, shape, color and add upto 4 lines of custom text on each side Color Options: Blue, Red, Pink, Green, Gold, Silver, Black, Orange or Size Options: Small or Large
- The Cat Face and Paw Shapes Are Embossed on One Side so for the Best Result We Recommend Engraving These Shapes on a Single Side Only
- Small Tags are Approximately 1 inch in Diameter While Large Tags are Approximately 1.3 inches in Diameter. In General, Size small is Recommended for Toy Dog Breeds and All Cats.
OurPets IQ Treat Ball Interactive Food Dispensing Dog Toy
2 used from $ 8.49
- Fill with your dog's favorite treats, promoting active and healthy feeding.
- Adjustable feeding difficulty levels continue to challenge your dog as they learn.
- As your dog plays and the rolls the ball, treats will fall out to reward them for being active.
- Twists apart for easy cleaning.
- Ideal for small to medium sized dogs (colors may vary).
KONG Air Dog Squeakair Birthday Balls Dog Toy, Medium, Colors Vary (3 Balls)
1 used from $ 7.00
- Non-abrasive tennis ball fabric will not wear down your dog's teeth
- All squeaker units are recessed in rubber and covered with tennis ball fabric for safety
- Dog Squeak air Birthday Balls will make any dog's birthday a hit
- These colorful versions of our popular Medium Air Dog Squeak air Tennis Balls are imprinted with a Happy Birthday" logo and come three to a package
Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Dog Toy Plush Dog Squeaky Toy Puzzle, 4 piece, Large
- 3 squeaky squirrels and durable plush tree trunk
- Hide and seek play pattern dogs love
- Made with durable plush material
- Trunk measures 6" x 7"
- Large squirrels measure 6.5" from head to end of tail
ZippyPaws Zingy 3-Squeaker No Stuffing Plush Dog Toy, Raccoon
- Great toy for the squeaker-loving dog
- Includes 3 assorted squeakers
- For dogs of all sizes
- Product size: 15 x 4 Inch
KONG Wild Knots Squeaker Bears for Dogs, Medium/Large, Colors Vary
- The internal knotted rope skeleton satisfies dogs' natural instincts
- Minimal stuffing
- Soft and durable
- Available in four sizes: XS, S/M, M/L, and XL
GOCooper Dog Toys, Cotton Dental Teaser Rope Chew Teeth Cleaning Toys Giraffe
- The rope chew toy feature solid knots that helps clean dog's teeth and improve dental health
- Purely cotton made, non-toxic dyeing
- Helps strengthen bond between you and your dog, build self esteem and makes obedience training
- Giraffe chew toy measures 8-inch length, 5.5- inch width
- Caution: Please note that this is a sturdy 100% cotton rope, but there is no such a thing