There is no standard “one-size-fits-all” Workout plan. Different people have different Body types. Broadly, there are three different body types – ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph. Whether you believe it or not, our genetics play a major role in our ability to lose weight and endomorphs have a tough time losing fat. A slight divergence from clean diet, and they end up gaining unwanted kilos. Our modern lifestyle, combined with our temptation to have foods coated with sugar and oil, makes weight gain even easier.
Who are endomorphs?
As discussed in one of our previous articles, endomorphs are large in size with less or no Muscle definition and face the highest level of difficulty in losing fat. The endomorph has a particularly easy time gaining weight, but it’s hard for them to shed kilos. Much of the weight they gain is fat, which tends to produce a round body shape. The following are the traits of an endomorph:
- Thick rib cage.
- Sluggish metabolism.
- Low carb tolerance.
- Thicker Joints.
- Hips as wide (or wider) than clavicles.
- Shorter limbs.
- Underdeveloped muscles.
- Short arm and legs.
In case you’re an endomorph, the good news for you is that packing on muscles is fairly easy and the bad news is that your body type is prone to excessive accumulation of body fat, especially in the form of “a large tire” in the midsection.
Endomorph diet should be high protein with minimal carbohydrates & fatss
Endomorphs can’t afford to consume excessive carbs. Cutting down on carbs will produce visibly appreciable results.
Protein is your friend and you should consume more than 1 gram of Protein per pound of body weight. Protein is essential for building lean muscles and intake of the right quantity of protein makes your weight loss program much more effective. Including lean protein in every meal will make up for a good endomorph diet. Eg. Protein shake after workout, egg whites in the morning.
Your fat consumption should majorly be composed of dietary fat, for example: endomorph diet should contain olive oil, nuts and nut butter, fish and fish oil, flex seed oil, eggs etc.
As far as calorie intake is concerned, you should be consuming around 10 calories per pound of your bodyweight. Say for example, your weight is 180 pound, then your calorie intake should be around 1800 calories per day. It is understandable that it’s quite low, but calorie deficit has to be there for weight loss.
Eating every 3-4 hours
You need to eat every 3-4 hours. This will continually supply energy to kick start your metabolism. You need to eat as much veggies as possible to make you feel fuller and veggies will provide you good amount of vitamins and minerals.
Best Fat Burner Supplements
If you are ready to look less like Govinda and more like Aamir, then you need to plan your training program keeping in mind the above nutrition guidelines. An endomorph workout program will contain more exercises per body part for the obvious reason of breaking down more muscles and burning more calories.
- Do 12 or more sets of exercises per body part. Higher number of sets per body part will help you burn more calories.
- Try doing around 15 reps per set. This is essential for hypertrophy. The more you stress your muscles, the more active will be your metabolism, which in turn will convert you into a fat burning machine.
- Endomorphs have an upper hand in some cases as compared to other body types. Your recovery is faster than a mesomorph, but slower than an ectomorph. This means that training more frequently and thus training sore won’t hinder your ability to gain benefit from training. The more endomorphs workout, the more calories they burn and hence eventually get slimmer.
- Reduce your carbohydrate intake drastically. Your body type stores a lot of carb as fat, so it’s better for you to reduce carb intake throughout the day. The only exception to this rule can be before and after your workout for energy and recovery, but try not to overdo it.
- Try to eliminate carbohydrates from your diet after 7 pm, so that you start your next day with some carb deficit and leave your body searching for fuel elsewhere. To get the max out of the morning carb deficit, train in the morning.
- Lift as heavy as possible. The real test of heavy is that it really tests your guts in the last 3 reps. Also, your rest interval should be around 30 – 40 second max.
Importance of cardio
Though cardio might be an enemy for ectomorphs and mesomorphs, but “cardio is your friend”. Focus on cardio. This shift your body’s energy burning mechanism from glycogen burning (carbs) to fat burning. Plan your workout in such a way that it includes 3 cardio sessions a week. Due to cardio, your body depletes its glycogen reserves, which are the main energy sources for physical activity and thus, as a result of it your body starts using the stored fat as energy. It is recommended that your endomorph workout plan includes steady cardio or High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) in your workout schedule. Steady state helps to burn more calories during a workout, while HIIT cranks up your post workout metabolism. By mixing these two, you will gain vastly superior results.
With a controlled and protein rich diet and a focused workout regime, endomorphs would definitely be able to shed off their extra kilos and come out with a solid, strong build. If you’re an endomorph, send us your queries or progress report. We’d love to see it.
The post Endomorph Workout & Diet Guide: Lose Fat & Build Muscle appeared first on Muscle Your Way.