You may recall that on the 7th and 11th of September 2017 respectively, I addressed you on the occasion of parade of suspects who kidnapped and murdered Late Rev Fr Cyriacus Onunkwo and the Commendation/award ceremony of Police personnel who arrested the suspects and successfully investigated the case. Since these two press briefings, we have continued to make tremendous progress in the fight against crime and criminality in Imo State. The peace and tranquility we have witnessed in the past two months can only be attributed to the high profile arrests and recoveries the Command has made within the period under review. As we approach the two critical months of November and December the Command shall do the following.
(i) Continue the all out offensive against criminals through intelligence led raids, cordon and search, diligent investigation of arrested suspects and successful prosecution of cases.
(ii) We shall also continue to be more visible at black spots, strategic junctions, public places and commercial centers.
(iii) The guard of banks/financial houses shall also be our top priority.
(iv) We shall also pay special attention to general and specific security of Imolities from the Diaspora who have returned home to enjoy the yuletide.
- Today, we shall be show-casing our modest efforts in restoring peace, law and order in Assa, Obile, Awara and other neighboring communities in Ohaji/Egbema LGA of Imo State. The worrisome incidence of cultism, brigandage, kidnapping and general Youth restiveness associated with armed robbery and unprecedented violence forced these Communities to flee for their dear lives in the last 20 months. In our efforts to curb violence, stop the killings, restore law and order, arrest the perpetrators of the dastardly act, show, shame and prosecute them, the Command in conjunction with the Military has made several arrests and recovered exhibits. A stabilization team of both Police and the Military have taken absolute charge and the cultists are being given a run for their money. Some pictorial evidence available to the investigating team revealed gory escapades of these sons and daughters of devil and how their mindless and inhuman but avoidable activities sent humanity to their early graves. We are determined to ensure that cultists are not allowed a field day anymore.
- We shall also reveal some other achievements in anti-robbery, anti-kidnapping and anti-human trafficking operations. These operations are presently ongoing and shall continue till the end of January, 2018.
- The Command shall also be taking part in Anambra State elections with the deployment of about 600 personnel. This is not only in compliance with the directive of the Inspector General of Police but in keeping with the policy of joint and collaborative efforts to achieve greater results.
The following achievements were made during the period under review:-
VICTIM: OGUEGBU OFFURUM ‘M’ OF UMUOBI IN ASSA OHAJI MURDERED ON 08/09/2017
SUSPECTS: (1) IHEOMA CHIDINMA ‘F’ 14YRS OF MGBIRICHI IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A.
(2) LEKWUWA OGBUJI ‘M’ 32YRS OF UMUOGWA OCHA AWARA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
(3)AMAECHI IKECHUKWU ‘M’ 23YRS OF UMUNNE AWARA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A.
(4) CLEMENT ONYEMA ‘M’ 30YRS OF UMUOGUZU AWARA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
The above named suspects who are members of the dreaded Dee-Gbam cult group in Ohaji/Egbema L.G.A.were arrested on 26/09/2017 by operatives of the Command in connection with the murder of Oguegbu Offurum. Investigation revealed that on 08/09/2017, while suspects were carrying out their initiation, the said victim was returning from the market and ran into them, suspects quickly blocked the victim, took him into the bush, killed him and severed his head from the body. The bodiless head was recovered on 08/09/2017 by operatives at a shrine in Awara. Investigation is in progress.
VICTIM: JUSTINE DIMKPA ‘M’ OF OBITTI UMUAPU OHAJI MURDERED ON 03/07/2017
SUSPECT: (1) OHAKA SYLVESTER ‘M’ 28YRS OF ASSA IN OHAJI /EGBEMA L.G.A.
The above named suspect was arrested on 26/09/2017 by operatives of the Command in connection with the murder of the above named victim at Assa in Ohaji/Egbema L.G.A. Investigation revealed that suspect is a member of one of the dreaded cult groups in the area popularly known as ‘ICELANDERS’. Investigation is on-going and suspect will be charged accordingly.
VICTIM: NWAOCHA UWALAKA ‘M’ 26YRS OF UMUGAMA ASSA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A. MURDERED ON28/06/2017
SUSPECT: OKWUDIRI EZEUGO ‘M’ 20YRS alias MOPOL OF OBILE IN OHAJI /EGBEMA L.G.A.
The above named suspect was arrested on 14/07/2017 by Operatives of the Command in connection with the murder of the above named victim at Assa in Ohaji/Egbema L.G.A on 28/06/2017. Investigation is in progress.
VICTIM: VOTE SHEDRACK ‘M’ OF ASSA IN OHAJI MURDERED ON 06/08/2017
SUSPECT: GIFT ONYIRUKA ‘M’ 28YRS alias Giftoo OF UMUOKUZU AWARA IN OHAJI /EGBEMA L.G.A.
The above named suspect was arrested on 17/08/2017 by operatives of the Command in connection with the murder of the above named victim at Amafor in Ohaji/Egbema L.G.A. Investigation is on-going.
VICTIM: OGBONNA FRANK OZIOMA ‘M’ OF OBILE IN OHAJI
SUSPECTS: (1) AJUKWARA LUCKY ‘M’ 35YRS OF OBRIKAM ASSA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
(2)ABRAHAM OTUOSORO CHIMA ‘M’ 26YRS OF UMUOGU OBILE IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A.
(3) ONYEMA OPARAJI ‘M’ 25YRS OF UMUGAMA ASSA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A.
The above named suspects were arrested by operatives of the Command in connection with a case of Arson reported on 27/08/2017 by the above named victim. Suspects who are members of a dreaded Dee-Well cult group in Ohaji/Egbema L.G.A. were arrested between 18th and 26th Sept, 2017 respectively.
- ARREST OF SUSPECTED ARMED ROBBERS:
SUSPECTS: (1) OKONKWO ONYEMAECHI ‘M’ 30YRS OF UMUEBUBEM AMUZI OBOWO L.G.A
(2) UGOCHUKWU ONWUNALI ‘M’ 24YRS OF
UMUNCHIEZE IKENNAZIZI OBOWO L.G.A
(3) DIVINE FIDELIS OKECHUKWU ‘M’ 15YRS
OF UMUKWU ODENKUME OBOWO L.G.A
(4) OKEKE CHINAKA ‘M’ 22YRS OF UMUEME
OGBAERU ORLU L.G.A
EXHIBITS: (1) ONE RG 5S GERMAN-ENGLISH PISTOL
(2) ONE MODEL MP-25 CAL-25 AUTO USA
(3) ONE ENGLISH REVOLVER PISTOL
On 27/09/2017 and 22/10/2017, operatives of Obowo Division of the Command arrested the above named suspects following a tip-off while robbing people from house to house at Umulogho Obowo L.G.A. and recovered the exhibits listed above.
- ARREST OF SUSPECTED ARMED ROBBERS:
(1) CHINEDU ODUENYI ‘M’ 27YRS
(2) CHINONSO ONYEMENAM ‘M’ 26YRS
(3) CHIMEZIE OKWARA ‘M’ 32YRS
(1) ONE SONY 45 INCHES TV
(2) TWO LUGER PISTOLS
(3) TWO PUMP ACTION GUNS
(4) ONE IRON DIGGER
Following a tip-off, operatives of the Command Monitoring Unit arrested the above named suspects in connection with a case of robbery at the house of one Dike at Umudumihuoma Amaike Orlu L.G.A and the above listed exhibits were recovered from the suspects.
- ARREST OF SUSPECTED ARMED ROBBER:
(1) CALEB NWOKENNA ‘M’
(1) ONE LORCIN PISTOL WITH NO: 167318
On 04/08/2017, operatives of the Monitoring Unit of the Command arrested the above named suspect following a tip-off and the above listed exhibit was recovered from the suspect.
- CASE OF FAKE KIDNAP/ARREST OF SUSPECTS:
SUSPECTS: (1) SOLOMON CHINONSO ‘M’ 18YRS OF NO.
2B SPIBAT ROAD AKWAKUMA
(2) NNADI CHIJIOKE ‘M’ 17YRS OF NO. 3
SPIBAT ROAD AKWAKUMA
(3) NWAOTU MICHEAL ‘M’ 20YRS OF
OGBOSISI UMUAPEALA MBIERI IN MBAITOLI L.G. A
(4) CHISOM JOHN KENNEDY IGBOKWE ‘M’
AT SPIBAT ROAD AKWAKUMA IN OWERRI NORTH L.G.A.
On 23/10/2017, operatives of the Command Anti-Kidnapping Unit acting on information arrested the following suspects in connection with the fake kidnap of Chisom John Kennedy Igbokwe ‘m’ at Spibat Road Akwakuma in Owerri North L.G.A. Suspects have made useful statements confessing that they conspired to fake the kidnap in order to collect ransom from his grand-father.
- ARREST OF KIDNAP SUSPECTS
(i) ITUMA JOSEPH IFEANYI ‘M’ 24YRS OF UMUOGUDUAKPU OHAUKWU L.G.A. OF EBONYI STATE
(ii) OBI PHILIP MAURICE ‘M’ 22YRS OF OGIDI IN IDEMILI SOUTH L.G.A. OF ANAMBRA STATE
VICTIMS: (i) OTITI SAMUEL CHUKWU ‘M’ 36YRS OF OWERRE NKWORJI NKWERRE L.G.A
(ii) CHIDIEBERE EMAN ‘M’ 39YRS OF UMUWALA NKWERRE L.G.A
(iii) CHIJIOKE EGBUERI ‘M’ 35YRS OF UMUWALA NKWERRE L.G.A
EXHIBITS: SAMSUNG GALAXY HANDSET BELONGING TO ONE OF THE VICTIMS
Sequel to the kidnap of the above named victims on 09/09/2017 at Owerre Nkworji in Nkwerre L.G.A and their subsequent rescue on 14/09/2017 at Umunoha in Mbaitoli L.G.A, operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Command acting on information swung into action and arrested the above named suspects on 29/09/2017 in connection with the crime at Ebonyi State.
- ARREST OF ARMED ROBBERY SUSPECTS/RECOVERY OF LOCALLY MADE GUN.
IKECHUKWU OGBONNA ‘M’ 34YRS OF MBUBE EAST OGOJA IN CROSS RIVER STATE.
MARTINS IHEOHAKARA ‘M’ OF MGBOROKO UMUKABI EHIME MBANO L.G.A. IMO STATE
CHINONYE AJAERO ‘M’ 35YRS OF UHAHA OBOCHE IN MBAITOLI L.G.A. IMO STATE
UCHE OGUIKE ‘M’ 29YRS OF UMUEZEALA UMUNDUGBAQ IN ISU L.G.A. IMO STATE
ONE LOCALLY MADE PISTOL
EIGHT (8) ASSORTED HANDSETS ROBBED FROM THE CUSTOMERS
ONE PLASMA TV AND LAPTOP BELONGING TO DIAMOND HOTEL
THREE (3) IRON DIGGERS
ONE (1) MACHETE
The above named suspects were arrested on 06/10/2017 by operatives of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Command at Nekede in Owerri West L.G.A and Orodo in Mbaitoli L.G.A respectively. Suspects were responsible for the robbery attack at Diamond Hotel located at Okpuala Naze in Owerri North where some of the above listed stolen items were recovered. Suspects have made useful statements confessing their involvements in the crime and investigation is still on.
- CASE OF CONSPIRACY AND BURGLARY
(1) ERNEST UCHENNA EKWUGHA ‘M’
(2) ALBERT OBINNA ‘M’
(1) ONE ADVANSPPID DIESEL ROTARY
(2) ONE ADVANSPID SPIRAL MIXER MODEL ZZZ40
(3) ONE ADVANSPID OVEN TROLLEY ALL WORTH OVER TWENTY MILLION (20, 000,000.00) NAIRA
Operatives of the Command Scorpion Squad arrested the above named suspects for a case conspiracy and burglary at a warehouse located at Naze Industrial Cluster, Owerri North L.G.A. The above listed exhibits stolen from the warehouse sometime in September, 2017 worth over Twenty million (20, 000, 000.00) naira were recovered from the suspects.
- SUSPECTED TRANSFERRED BY MILITARY TO POLICE
On 10/10/2017, the Commander, 34 Field Artillery Brigade, Obinze Owerri Brigader General H. I. Bature handed over thirty-eight (38) male suspects arrested during the Operation Egwu-Eke II between 26th Sept. to 1st Oct. 2017 at various flash points and communities within the state along with the following exhibits to the Commissioner of Police for further investigation and possible prosecution.
(a) 3 Pump Action guns
(b) 21 Locally made guns
(c) 2 Tiger generators 1 Ladies Motorcycle
(d) 30 live cartridges
(e) 3 rounds of 7.62 NATO Ammunition
(f) 2 Cutlasses
(g) 22 pieces of fake US Dollar notes
(h) 1 MOSSOP ID Card
(i) 1 Biafran flag
(j) Some quantity of substances suspected to be Indian hemp and mobile phones
Painstaking investigation carried so far has revealed that out of the thirty-eight (38) suspects arrested and handed over, fourteen (14) of them have been found complicit in various degrees of criminalities while twenty-four others are still undergoing thorough investigation.
The fourteen (14) suspects include:
- MEMBERSHIP OF PROHIBITED ICELAND SECRET CULT
- CHIMA CHIBUNDU GOODLUCK ‘M’ 26YRS OF OBILEE UMUOKOROCHA IN EGBEMA L.G.A
- EJIM MADUKA ‘M’ 24YRS OF UMUOKUZU UMUOGBA OBILEE IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
iii. ANDREW CHUKWUMA ‘M’ aka Abel 25YRS OF OBECHI IKWEREDE AWARA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
- AKACHI DIKEOCHA ‘M’ 26YRS OF IKWEREDE AWARA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
- MEMBERSHIP OF PROHIBITED DEGBAM SECRET CULT
- ESORO CHIBUZOR ‘M’ 27YRS OF UMUGOLOGO UHUBAHIA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
- IFEANYI AGU ‘M’ 0F OHUBA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
- MEMBERSHIP OF PROHIBITED DEGBAM SECRET CULT
- CHIDIEBERE OBI ‘M’ 22YRS OF OBIAKPU IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
- NWIGWE MOSES ‘M’ 21YRS OF OBILEE IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A IMO STATE
- UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARMS
- CHUKWUEMEKA EZINNE aka Snoop Dog ‘M’ 35YRS OF UMUOGBUGBE MGBEDE IN ONELGA L.G.A. RIVERS STATE
- IKECHUKWU NWAKA ‘M’ 36YRS OF MGBEDE IN ONELGA L.G.A RIVERS STATE
iii. CHIKEZIE EMEODI ‘M’ 24YRS OF UMUNTIA MGBEDE IN ONEGA L.G.A. RIVERS STATE
- GODFREY ODINAKA ‘M’ 18YRS aka Echika OF UMUGBUBE MGBEDE IN ONELGA L.G.A RIVERS STATE
- UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF WEEDS SUSPECTED TO BE INDIAN HEMP
- CHINAZA NZEREOGU ‘M’ 22YRS UMUNYERE OBOSIMA IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
- ONYENWOKE CHIMUANYA ‘M’ aka Randy 21YRS OFF ABACHEKE IN OHAJI/EGBEMA L.G.A
All the cases which investigation has been concluded will be charged to court accordingly.
- ARMED ROBBERY/ATTEMPTED MURDER AND TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN PERSONS
(i) Obinna Eze ‘m’ 31 years
(ii) Oluchi Chibike ‘f’ 32years
(iii) Vitalis Lumanze ‘m’ 40years
(iv) Nkiru Nwanedu ‘f’ 45years
(v) Chinyere Nwudu ‘f’ 43years
(vi) Jacinta Amadi ‘f’ 45years
Abigail Ukah ‘f’ 34years
Francis Nwachukwu ‘m’ 5years
Chinaza Nwachukwu ‘m’ 2years
On the 29th day of August 2017, Oluchi Chibike ‘f’ the cousin to Abigail Ukah ‘f’ came to Uzoagba in Ikeduru LGA, in company of one Obinna Eze ‘m’ whom Oluchi Chibiko told the victim Abigail Ukah, was her intended husband. Their mission was to take her Abigail with her two children Francis Nwachukwu 5years old and Chimazaekpere Nwachukwu 2years old to visit Obinna’s house at Afara Mbaitoli L.G.A. Obinna thereafter carried them on his motorcycle at about 12pm to his house. At about 6pm unknow to the victim that Obinna and Oluchi have concluded plans to attack her and take away her children, Obinna and Oluchi hired one Vitalis Lumanze and Chinatu AKA “Salasco” whom they paid the sum of One hundred and sixty thousand naira (N160,000) to attack her on their way back to Uzoagba Ikeduru. At about 1900hrs of same date along Amankuta Mbieri a lonely bush path, the two hired men emerged armed with matchet and torch Light, attacked the victim gave her several matchet cuts all over her body, dragged her and dumped her inside the bush believing that she has died while Obinna and Oluchi carried the two Children back to Obinna’s house at Afara Mbaitoli were they slept. In the morning of 30th August 2017, Oluchi and Obinna took the two children to Enugu State and sold them to one Mrs Nkiru Nwanedu ‘f’ of Egwedi Njaba LGA at the cost of One Million one hundred thousand Naria (N1, 100,000) but paid them the sum of seven hundred thousand naira (N700,000) promising to pay the balance on a later date. Nkiru Nwanedu 45yrs old later resold the children to one Mrs. Jacinta Amadi ‘f’ 45yrs of Egede in Udi LGA Enugu State who took custody of the two children from 30th August 2017 till 27th October 2017 when they were arrested from their various hideouts at Enugu State and the two children recovered. It is worthy of note that Obinna Eze and Nkiru Nwanedu are Ex-convicts in a similar case and both came to know each other while they were at Okigwe prisons. The syndicate has been smashed remaining only Chinatu A.K.A Salasco who is still at large.
- SPECIAL DUTIES
In the past weeks, Imo State has had the privilege of hosting the Ghanaian and South African Presidents. In addition, the Vice President of Nigeria Professor Yemi Osinbajo SAN, GCON also visited Imo State. Furthermore the Common Wealth Parliamentary Union, Africa Region hosted their Conference in Owerri for about one week. This is not forgetting the galaxy and array of dignitaries that grace the activities that marked the Birthday of His Excellency Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha OON.
I thought as a law enforcement official we shall not take for granted that these ceremonies were successfully completed without any security breach or incident. I wish to commend all officers and men of the Command for living up to expectation. Also the synergy between the Police and other security Agencies is further exemplified by the successes recorded at these events.
- REWARD FOR HARD WORK
The last seven months have been challenging but tremendous successes and breakthroughs have been recorded by the Command and the Communities are happier for it. We are grateful to
(i) The Rt. Hon Speaker of Imo State House of Assembly and indeed all the Honourable members for finding us worthy of honor and commendation on 19th September, 2017.
(ii) The Anambra State Council of the Nigerian Union of Journalists for finding CP Chris Okey Ezike worthy of honour as the Winner of NUJ 2017 Annual Excellence Service Award conferred on 13th October, 2017.
(iii) The Security Watch Africa team for the nomination of the Commissioner of Police CP Chris Ezike, the Imo State Police Command, the Officer incharge Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SP Victor Godfrey Ogbeide, the Command Police Public Relations Officer SP Andrew Enweren worthy of nomination for Regional Awards/Honours slated for Kigali in Rwanda come 12th December, 2017.
In conclusion, I wish to thank the Officers and men of Imo State Command for their hard work, dedication and commitment to duty. The remaining part of 2017 may be challenging but with determination we shall conquer. I appreciate all Imolities for their whistle blowing capabilities. The love and appreciation they have shown for the good jobs we have done excites the Command. And for also tolerating our occasional excesses, you remain our best. I wish to thank our Ezes and the Presidents of the Town Unions for their Community partnership disposition. I implore them to step up their games by re-engineering the Neighborhood and Community Vigilante machineries as an added impetus to complement Police efforts. To my brothers and sisters in the media, your enthusiasm, commendable reportage and necessary criticisms of our works and activities can only be the reason why we are doing well. To all of us, stay out of trouble and be law abiding.
God bless us all.
SUMMARY OF CASES AND ARRESTS MADE