CivicActions is looking for a Web Application Support Specialist to join our team, who will act as the front-line support for our users. This team member will need to thoroughly understand and respond with empathy, reconstruct the problem a user is having, and then use detective work to resolve the client’s request.
Working both independently and as part of a team, this person makes sure no incoming email goes unanswered, our clients get a quick and helpful reply, and any communications from clients that need escalation to project managers, developers, or sales are communicated quickly and correctly. This team member also helps to translate information from users to engineers, and from the engineering team back to users, inappropriately clear language and level of detail for each audience.
The specialist must have excellent analytical abilities, an interest in problem-solving, a high level of empathy and interest in user experience, and top-notch writing skills. Web development skills are also very helpful in this role, though not strictly required.
This is a remote role but will require periodically being available during specific time zones (most likely East Coast US Time).
- Act as the first contact for incoming users’ queries and requests
- Respond to messages quickly, accurately, and compassionately in order to clearly articulate technical tradeoffs to non-technical individuals
- Assess and prioritize a high number of questions and tasks at varying levels of breadth and depth
- Work cross-functionally with our Developer and Open Data teams to resolve customer issues and escalate complex problems appropriately
- Understand and resolve queries that range from simple end-user support to Web Application defects and assistance with data analysis tools from our clients
- Participate in website QA efforts and may help to define and report both bugs and potential website improvements
- The ability to be successful as a part of a team with constantly changing priorities
Skills and Experience
This team member will benefit from previous experience with any of the following.
- Great email-writing skills, especially an ability to quickly craft technical explanations to non-technical users with warmth and empathy.
- A basic understanding of how websites and web applications work
- Experience providing technical or customer support (by phone, email, chat)
- Experience reporting software defects
- Understanding of how to research problems using browser dev tools
- Excel/spreadsheet and/or other data query skills
The following skills or experience would be helpful but are not required:
- Open data (CKAN, DKAN, Socrata, other, but especially CKAN or DKAN)
- Jira, Zendesk, Salesforce or other task management and/or contact management applications
- Experience building and/or using Drupal or other CMS environments, especially Drupal
- Understanding of basic SQL queries
- Data science, data reporting and/or visualization experience
- Github or Gitlab experience
- Proficiency in Spanish
This position is remote. The specialist may work out of their home office or designated office space, such as a co-working space.
$40,000 - $50,000 annual salary
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The specialist will spend 90+% of their time on a computer. The remaining time may be spent working directly with users or stakeholders, either in large groups or one-on-one via video conferencing.
We excel in our benefits offering and believe that people who are well taken care of can be more balanced, productive, and happy. We offer 100% company-paid medical insurance, disability insurance, and life insurance. We have a generous 401(k) program as well as paid parental leave. Our open vacation policy encourages employees to take time off as needed, and you can structure your work day for optimum work-life balance, while ensuring you fulfill your responsibilities and work collaboratively with your team.. We have an annual all-hands retreat to connect with each other in person. We also emphasize professional development and offer an annual stipend.
Community participation is important to us and we ask that you spend 5% of your working time giving back to a community that you care about. We attempt to keep our work products 'open by default'. This means that your work contributions during your time at CivicActions will be published under public license whenever possible, so you can bring your passion fully into your activities without the fear that your expressions will be locked away or prevented from having a positive impact in the world.
We value diverse teams at CivicActions. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.