Ooh now this looks like it could be an interesting film, based on the best selling novel of the same name by Liz Jensen the storyline takes place after a tragic incident on Louis Drax’s 9th birthday….sounds like a cool mystery will unfold.
What I liked:
- The cast looks fantastic. Jamie Dornan is so much more than his role as Christian Gray, and anyone who has watched BBC’s The Fall will know what I am taking about. Aaron Paul is just awesome and Sarah Gadon has done some great work too (A Dangerous Method).
- There was just the right balance of exposition and confusion to pique my interest. There clearly is something about going into peoples minds? Right?
- Ambiguous and flawed characters. The Dad or the Mum possibly tried to kill their son? The Doctor sleeps with the Mum! Who are these people?!
- Stunning Visuals. I am such a sucker for gorgeous cinematography (everyone knows that) and Louis Drax looks to fulfil my need for beautiful visuals.
- What is that Monster! The reveal behind this subconscious monster could be really interesting.
What I Didn’t like:
- That blink and you miss it shot of the mother approaching her startled looking son. If she did push him off the edge then this is a really annoying spoiler of epic proportions!!!
So The 9th Life of Louis Drax is coming to cinemas on 2nd September so count me in. Also a question to all the book readers out there is the novel worth a read?