One of the most popular home business ideas in Nigeria is starting your own tailoring business. Over the past few years, a lot of such companies, having started from scratch, have moved to the level of a small industry. They used the money they had earned to purchase high-tech equipment allowing them to improve the quality of the products dramatically.
How can you start a profitable business in tailoring and what do you need for this?
Let hundreds of thousands of potential customers find out about your products and services: install updated Jiji app to buy and sell easier, faster & more convenient!
1. Advantages of business
- It does not require large investment;
- It isn’t a seasonal business;
- the need for exclusive clothing is increasing;
- the flexibility of choosing a business system.
2. How much does it cost to start a tailoring business?
- you can organize a mini-manufacture even at home: you only need to buy a household sewing machine and create a competent tailoring business plan;
- an average-sized workshop (20-50 items per day) – $10,000;
- large tailoring workshop (150-200 items per shift) – at least $150,000.
Transitional options are also possible.
3. Type of service
There are many tailoring business ideas allowing several variations at the start:
- standard: sewing dresses, suits, outerwear;
- repair and modification;
- sewing children’s clothing;
- sewing uniforms;
- sewing tablecloths, curtains, covers, etc.
4. Equipment costs
When opening a small tailoring business with 10 employees you will need:
- 7-8 universal stitching machines;
- 2 overlock sewing machines;
- a hinged semi-automatic machine for straight loops;
- a button semi-automatic machine.
(If you opt for used equipment, you can buy everything for about $4 – 5,000).
- synthetic fabrics that must be pressed with a special steam iron are being used more and more often. Therefore, you it’s a good idea to buy this special equipment ($1,500).
- the purchase of fabrics and accessories will require at least $3-4,000 in order to ensure non-stop production.
According to experts, a mini workshop pays off in about a year.
5. Purchase of fabrics and accessories
You will need different types of fabrics:
- wool/wool blend;
- viscose, etc.
You will also need some lining materials:
- woven interfacing;
- non-woven fabric;
- lining materials: polyester, twill, viscose.
It is obligatory to allocate a certain amount of money for the purchase of professional fittings and threads.
6. The premises
At first, your tailoring business can be home-based: you can deliver the cuts to the tailors’ houses and then collect the completed items.
It’s a good idea to rent a place in a large shopping center. The obvious advantage is the constant crowd of people (customers + advertising), while the cost of rent is quite a significant disadvantage. A good compromise would be to rent rooms at a clothes factory.
The optimal number of people for a mini-enterprise is 23 people.
In order to minimize the downtime of machines and premises, 2 brigades of 10 people can work in shifts. The brigade should consist of:
- seven tailors;
- two people engaged in wet-heat treatment;
- one manager.
You will also need two cutters (they can work in one shift, getting the cuts ready for both brigades) and a laboratory assistant – his task is to sew the first copy of the new model.
In addition to the mentioned 23 people, you will need a director (usually he is also the owner). A mechanic, an electrician, and an accountant could be outsourced.
8. How to organize sales?
There are only 3 ways to sell the product in this business: the Internet, local shops and markets. Of course, you can also open your own store or even a chain of stores. However, this will require significant additional funding that may not be available at first.
One of the universal options to start a very profitable tailoring business in Nigeria is to start selling clothes on large free ads portals. For example, ready-made clothing can be sold on Jiji, the largest online-marketplace in Nigeria with huge audience coverage.
Thousands of beginning entrepreneurs started posting free ads on Jiji and achieved their brand recognition and transition to a new level of production and sales in a short time.
Jiji is the guarantee of your non-stop business operation and effective shopping offering unprecedented efficiency and convenience of both purchases and sales.
Using Jiji? Install Jiji app and start using all the advantages of the site on your smartphone!
The post How To Start A Tailoring Business In Nigeria? appeared first on Jiji.ng Blog.
This post first appeared on JiJi.ng Blog - Sell And Buy Cheaper And Safer From, please read the originial post: here