Using up leftovers and minimising food wastage is a concept has been gathering a fair bit of steam recently with many celebrity chefs, who have been devising recipes to use up leftover raw and cooked food. Growing up, I remember my mother using up all the leftover veggies and lentils at the end of the week to make soups or, fritters. The fruit would be added to puddings or muffins. She was a staunch believer in not buying more than required and, buying fresh food as needed. Stale, week old Bread is always challenging to work with, but is the perfect ingredient for this recipe!
- Stale Sourdough Bread (Gluten free bread is good too) – 4 slices cut into halves
- Onion, diced finely – 1/2 medium sized
- Chickpea/ Gram Flour (Besan) – 1/2 cup
- Green Chillies, sliced finely – 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Black Rock Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- In a thick bottomed pan ( I used my cast iron frying pan) heat the oil.
- In a mixing bowl, make a thick but smooth batter with the chickpeas flour, rock salt, turmeric and water.
- Mix in the green chillies, ginger garlic paste and onions.
- Dip the bread into the batter and place on a hot pan.
- Flip over after browned on one side and cook the other side.
Serve hot with spicy tomato ketchup. Enjoy!
I’m curious to know your favourite leftover recipes in the comments below