Fava Beans Nutrition
The pods which are flat, large and light green in color are called as fava beans. Among the ancient cultivated crops, fava is one of them. In the fertile valleys of Mediterranean region or Asia Minor, the origin of fava took place. In the genus: Vicia, the family to which fava pods belong is Fabaceae family. The scientific name of fava beans is Vicia faba. It is easy to grow them in home gardens. It is one of the green vegetables which provide health benefits and nutrition. Fava beans nutrition is good for our health. Here, we have to deal with the Fava beans nutrition.
Boiled Fava Beans Nutrition
187 calories are provided by 1 cup of boiled fava beans without salt. They endow 1 gram of fat, 13 grams of protein, 33 grams of carbohydrates, no cholesterol and 9 grams of fiber. They also provide 177 micrograms of folate. The key nutrients which are present in them are calcium, potassium, phosphorus, and manganese. Therefore, boiled fava beans are the nutritious diet for us. Generally, it is a part of balanced diet. So many people prefer to eat boiled fava beans due to the health benefits and nutrition provided by it.
Canned Fava Beans Nutrition
The nutrition provided by boiled fava beans without salt and canned fava beans are same. They only differ in the content of sodium. 1,160 milligrams of sodium is provided by 1 cup of canned beans on the other hand 8 milligrams of sodium is provided by 1 cup of boiled fava beans without salt. According to the America Heart Association, if we consume more than 1,500 milligrams of sodium then it is considered to be its overconsumption. Overconsumption of sodium leads to the development of high blood pressure. Therefore, we should prefer boiled fava beans without salt.
Health Benefits Concerning Fava Beans Nutrition
The health benefits of fava beans concerning its nutrition are as follows.
- A rich source of dietary fiber (66 % per 100 g RDA) is provided by broad beans. It also works as the bulk laxative. The colon mucosa gets protected by dietary fiber. The exposure time to toxic substances can be decreased by it. In the colon, cancer-causing chemicals get bound up by it. In the colon, re-absorption of cholesterol binding bile acids get decreased by dietary fiber and as a result of it, it is helpful in reducing the levels of cholesterol.
- The content of protein is high in broad beans. They are the great source of energy if compared to other lentils and beans. 341 calories per 100 grams are possessed by 100 grams of beans. Health benefiting antioxidants, minerals, plant sterols and vitamins are combined to form fava beans.
- They entail Levo-dopamine or L-dopa. It is considered to be the precursor of brain’s neurochemicals. These neurochemicals include nor-epinephrine, epinephrine or dopamine. The coordinating and smooth functioning of movements of the body is linked with dopamine present in the brain. Dopamine-responsive dystonia disorders and Parkinson’s disease can be prevented if we consume the adequate amounts of fava beans in our daily diet.
- Phytonutrients are provided by fava beans in high quantity. These phytonutrients include plant sterols and isoflavone. In laboratory animals, breast cancer can be protected by isoflavone comprising daidzein and genistein. The levels of cholesterol can be lowered with the help of phytosterols, especially β-sitosterol.
- They are loaded with niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine) and thiamin (vitamin B-1). In cellular metabolism of protein, fat, and carbohydrate, the role of these Vitamins is of coenzymes.
- Our body gets minerals like copper, iron, magnesium, and calcium in rich quantity by fava beans. They are the rich source of potassium. The effects of sodium on blood pressure and heart can be minimised by having potassium in our diet.
- Folates are provided in high quantity by fresh fava beans. 423 µg or 106 % of folates are provided by 100 grams of beans. The important components of cell division and DNA synthesis are folate along with Vitamin B-12. Neutral-tube defects in the new born baby can be prevented by ample amount of folate is added in the diet of pregnant women.
Read More- Calories in Red Wine
Thus, we have discussed fava beans nutrition in the above-written matter. For providing nutrition to the body, we should consume fava beans in our daily diet. A large number of people love to have this nutritious diet.
The post Fava Beans Nutrition Does so much for our Body appeared first on Benefits and Uses.