The delicious and mouthwatering Jhinge diye Bhaja Muger Dal (Ridge Gourd - Split Green Gram Curry - Bengali Style) is a famous dish of West Bengal and is very much popular. It is not a restaurant style recipe but a homely authentic Bengali one full of nutrition and protein. Apart from the protein of Moong dal (lentil) Ridge Gourd is extremely rich in dietary fiber and enriched with all the vital elements that include Vitamin-C, zinc, iron, riboflavin, magnesium, thiamine and traces of another minerals. It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and calories that aids in weight loss. Hence it is a good recipe for kids as well.
Let’s start the recipe without any delay:-
Preparation Time: - 20 min
Cooking Time: - 25 min
Servings: - 3~4 persons
- ½ cup roasted Green Moong Dal (lentil)
- 1 ½ cup Ridge Gourd cut in cubded form
- 2 tbsp Mustard oil (since it is authentic Bengali preparation I used mustard oil but you can use any vegetable oil like Sunflower oil/Canola)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 dry red chili
- ½ tsp Panchforon
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 3~4 cloves
- 2 tsp Ginger grated
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1~2 Green Chili
- 1 tsp roasted Cumin Powder
- Salt as per your taste
- 2 tsp Ghee i.e. Clarified butter
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Few coriander leaves chopped.
- Roast the cumin powder in a flat tawa /pan and keep aside.
- Wash Ridge Gourd thoroughly and discard the peel partially. Cut it into cubed form.
- Dry roast the moong dal (lentil) in a flat tawa/frying pan.
- Wash under water to cool it.
- Mix with salt and turmeric powder. Use pressure cooker to boil the dal partially. Keep aside.
- Take a separate non-stick Kadahi suitable for deep frying and heat oil for frying with high flame. Once heated turn the burner into medium heat.
- Add bay leaves, dry red chili, grated ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves in the hot oil.
- Sauté for a while.
- Now add the peeled ridged gourd and salt.
- Cook till water comes out from the mixture. Then continue frying to make a thick paste.
- Put roasted cumin powder in the mixture and mix.
- Now pour the lentil slowly. Mix well with all the spices.
- Cook for 2 minutes when continuing stirring.
- When the thickness of the gravy turns out to your liking sprinkle Ghee on top of it.
- Add garam masala and stop the burner.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Now your yummy nutritious dal is ready to consume.
Serve hot with white rice or roti. You can enjoy it with plain steamed rice and papad as accompaniment. I even like it with crispy potato fry.
If you like the recipe, then click my and like my page for regular updates. You can even share the recipe via Facebook, twitter or Pinterest.
As always please feel free to comment, criticize and seek if any help is required. I am all ears.