Pulled Jackfruit has been around for the last year or so and really taken the vegan community by storm. It works as a substitute for pulled pork, due to its mild flavour and stringy texture.
Now I’m not going to pretend that it doesn’t sound really weird. Fruit? As a substitute for pork? But believe me when I tell you, it really works! It’s important to choose young tinned jackfruit in water or brine, not syrup, as this can alter the flavour. You should be able to find it from good Asian or cruelty-free stores. Once it’s cooked, it takes on the flavour of the sauce, which makes it indistinguishable from meat.
I believe that it’s one of those recipes that you put off trying simply because it seems too weird. Please though, trust me when I say, you need to make this. Although, despite it being made from fruit, it’s not the healthiest due to the amount of Bbq Sauce required but it’s super tasty for a weekend treat.
It doesn’t take long to make either, and if you can convince an omni to try it I would, as they’ll be hard pushed to find fault with it. Maybe don’t tell them what it is first though (we all know how reluctant people can be to try something ‘vegan’, God forbid it somehow poisons them).
In this recipe, I made my own BBQ sauce, which I urge you to do as well. You have more control over the flavour, and it means you can avoid all the nasty additives and preservatives from bottled ones. However, if you don’t have time, then simply use whatever you can find.
I served these with Sam’s homemade vegan brioche buns and apple and beetroot slaw. All of this together made it a delicious weekend dinner. If you’re looking to make the slaw as well, head on over to the apple and beetroot slaw recipe.
Vegan BBQ Pulled 'Pork' Jackfruit Sliders
- For the BBQ sauce (alternatively, you will need 320ml shop brought BBQ sauce)
- 300g ketchup
- 100ml water
- 75ml apple cider vinegar
- 100g brown sugar
- 6tsp dijon mustard
- 3tsp onion powder
- Juice from half a lemon
- 3tsp liquid smoke
- 3tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- For the pulled pork sliders
- 1 tin of jackfruit in water or brine
- 100ml beef-style stock
- For assembly
- 8 slider buns
- Apple and beetroot slaw
- Step 1 First, make the BBQ sauce (if you’re using shop-brought sauce, skip to step 6
- Step 2 In a large saucepan, add in all of the BBQ ingredients
- Step 3 Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce to a simmer
- Step 4 Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until it has thicken slightly
- Step 5 Set aside
- Step 6 For your jackfruit, begin by cutting off the hard corner edge and discarding
- Step 7 Carefully go through each piece to remove any seeds and discard, as these can ruin the texture
- Step 8 Gently rinse under running water to remove any left over seeds
- Step 9 In a saucepan, place your jackfruit and cover with stock
- Step 10 Bring to the boil and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced nearly entirely
- Step 11 Drain the jackfruit, discard the stock, and place the jackfruit back into the saucepan
- Step 12 Pour the BBQ sauce onto the jackfruit and stir well (you may not need all of the BBQ sauce for this, so alter to your taste)
- Step 13 Bring to the boil then allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Step 14 Take two forks, and then gently ‘shred’ the jackfruit into pieces
- Step 15 Stir well and allow to cook for another 5 minutes
- Step 16 Remove from the heat, place onto your buns with the coleslaw and serve!
The post Vegan Bbq Pulled ‘Pork’ Jackfruit Sliders appeared first on The Rose and Bean.