Beetroot Kurma is a recipe my mum would often make as I loved Beetroot as a child. The fascinating colour, the sweet flavour were absolutely enticing even back then. Now my children share my love of beetroot including, rubbing it all over their teeth to scare each other! Autumn’s settling in nicely with all the rain and windy weather we have had recently making me crave hot meals again. It does seem that we are back to that time of the year where warm and filling meals are back on the meal plan again. I found the cutest looking baby beetroot the other day and had to get them. This recipe comes together quickly on a weeknight and does not use onion or garlic and is delicious with flatbread or, rice Pulao dishes.
Vegan Beetroot Kurma
Onion and garlic free, gluten-free quick Beetroot curry in a delicious coconut gravy.
- 1 cup Beetroot, steamed and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Green Chili, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Split Gram Lentils
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander, minced
- Salt, to taste
Soak the desiccated coconut in warm water and set aside.
- Steam the beetroot to cook. Cool before peeling and cutting into thin wedges.
- Dry grind together the roasted split chickpeas, mustard and cumin seeds to a fine powder.
- Add in the coconut mixture and blend to a fine paste.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the spice blend.
- Mix in the turmeric powder and green chilli.
- Add the beetroot wedges and mix well.
- Season with salt and take off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander if using.
The post Beetroot Kurma/ Korma – Onion & Garlic Free appeared first on Masala Vegan.