Even during the height of a pandemic, there is not a lack of movies to see. Seriously, this week delivered a stupid amount of movies. So many that I have not even got to the new adaptation of Rebecca or the animated Netflix film directed by an Oscar-winning Disney animator (Over the Moon). And then there's AFI Fest, which offered plenty more films to screen virtually. Plenty of horror on my plate too, which will reach a finale of sorts next week, but let's get to what I did cover.
This week brings in a sequel to Sacha Baron Cohen's first hit Borat, a new adaptation of Roald Dahl's The Witches from director Robert Zemeckis, a very cool sci-fi film (Synchronic), some AFI Fest reviews, and more. There's also an exciting new bonus horror podcast episode covering Giallo and Italian horror films. Additionally, there are more podcasts we put together, including our episode covering The Trial of the Chicago 7. Finally, there are my various essays lists, and new trailers to dig into as well. Enjoy, stay safe out there, and thanks for reading!
(All Reviews Are Linked)
- Every Review Throughout The Year(s)
New Films In Theaters:
- The Wolf of Snow Hollow
- The Personal History of David Copperfield
New Films Now Streaming:
- Love And Monsters - on VOD
- Antebellum - on VOD
- Mulan - Disney+
- An American Pickle - HBO Max
- Bill and Ted Face the Music - on VOD
- Greyhound - AppleTV+
- The Old Guard - Netflix
- Palm Springs - Hulu
- First Cow - on VOD
- Da 5 Bloods - Netflix
New On 4K/Blu-ray/DVD:
- Cut Throat City
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 - Aaron is joined by Fast Film Reviews’ Mark Hobin to discuss the historical legal drama The Trial of the Chicago 7 from writer/director Aaron Sorkin.
- Horror Special - Giallo & Italian Horror - For this special, JoBlo's Jimmy O, Flicks For Fans' Jason Coleman, and The Brandon Peters Show's Brandon Peters join Aaron and Abe to discuss Giallo films (aka stylish Italian mystery thrillers) along with Italian horror films.
- Horror Special - Arachnophobia - 30th Anniversary - For this special, Aaron is joined by Professor Mike Dillon and the lovely Ana Bosch to talk all about the horror-comedy Arachnophobia in honor of the Frank Marshall-directed film’s 30th anniversary.
- Horror Special - Friday the 13th - 40th Anniversary - For this special, the guys focus on Friday the 13th in honor of the film’s 40th anniversary. JoBlo's Jimmy O, Flicks For Fans' Jason Coleman, and The Brandon Peters Show's Brandon Peters join Aaron to discuss the origins of direct Sean S. Cunningham’s genre favorite.
- Horror Special - Diversity In Horror - JoBlo's Jimmy O, Flicks For Fans' Jason Coleman, and The Brandon Peters Show's Brandon Peters join Aaron and Abe to discuss what it means to see the horror genre embrace evolution in the people in front of and behind the camera.
- All Episodes
Trailers & Other Articles Of Note:
- Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
- Raya and the Last Dragon
- News of the World
- The Life Ahead
- The Old Ways
- The Underground Railroad
- Wander Darkly
- Once Upon a Snowman
- The Top 100 Films of the Decade (2010 - 2019)
- The Essential Fellini
- January Criterion Releases
- Godzilla Is Getting Closer
- Godzilla Criterion Box Set Announcement
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters Podcast
- Destroy All Monsters Discussion
- All Monsters Attack Discussion
- The Walking Dead
- The Walking Dead: World Beyond