Uber PHV License 2019 – Private Hire License Guide
PHL License Guide 2019
Like the city of New York, London is a bustling, fast-paced environment that requires enhanced transportation bureaucracy. Meaning, for those who would like to be a driver, there is plenty of opportunity – but also plenty of paperwork to fill out before you enter into the world of taxi driving, or ridesharing.
If you would like to obtain your taxi or private hire License, here’s an overview of how to go about getting your PHV/PHL in the UK.
How to Obtain Your Private Hire License In the UK
Have you been contemplating whether or not driving (as a career-choice) is for you? Would you like to apply for your private hire vehicle (PHV) license, but don’t know where to begin?
If so, this guide is for you.
As long as you have a vehicle (seating up to 8 passengers) and wish to have your vehicle available to hire, you will need to obtain a Phv License — obtaining a valid PHV license is your responsibility. In addition, since UK regulations have recently changed, it’s important that you stay up-to-date regarding PHV regulatory information.
Although there are certain exemptions, here is the basic criteria for a PHV License:
- All new vehicles seeking a license, must be no older than five years + meet the Euro 4 standards for emissions.
- If your vehicle is already licensed, it must be no older than 10 years at the time of licensing.
If you qualify based on the information above, the next step is to book an inspection. Once you do book an appointment, be sure to bring the following:
- If applicable, your previous PHV license
- Your V5c DVLA Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Insurance documentation
- MOT certificate issued within the last 14 days
- Any vehicle modification documents
After the inspection, you will receive either a fail or pass. In the event of failure, drivers receive a report, explaining detailed reasons why failure occurred.
Those who obtain their PHV license can then apply to the Taxi and Private Hire Directorate (TPH).
In order to pass the first time, you will have to:
- Bring all required documentation, as listed above (while making your appointment, remember to double check what you’ll need to bring).
- Make sure that there are no wires or other internal equipment affecting the passenger seating area. If you have two-way radio equipment, ensure that it does not interfere with the passenger seating area. For example, be certain that there are no wires or fixtures that may be hazardous to a driver, or the vehicle’s passengers. Instead, equipment should be either securely fastened under the seat or within the glove box.
- Make sure that your vehicle meets certain window-light transparency specifications. A minimum of 70% light must be transmitted through the windows, in relation to tinting.
- Finally, make sure that your vehicle has no significant body damage.
Begin Your Application
If you would like to begin the application process, you can book an appointment online at tfl.gov.uk/tph, or directly call the contact centre at: 0343 222 5555. During this time, you will be asked for your V5c information and credit card details.
In total, there are six inspection centers across London that are accessible for purposes of PHV licensing.
From the date of inspection, vehicle licenses are issued for a period of 12 months. Within London, you can expect to pay a non-refundable fee of £65, as well as a grant of license fee, which is £35. Although there are exemptions, all PHVs must display both their front and rear incense discs.
If you are applying outside of London, you will need to apply to your local council. In either case, you will need to be able to legally work within the UK, and have held a full GB or Northern Ireland driving license for a minimum of 12 months.
You can also expect a background check.
Please feel free to view information on the full application process, including information regarding refunds and privacy notices. Depending on your area, please ask your council about related fees and requirements, including the steps you need to take in order to apply and pass.
Sign up to drive with Uber or Lyft for a cash bonus!
The post PHV License Uber appeared first on Alvia.