A study from McGill University has revealed new insight into how a virus causes a chronic infection. The previously undiscovered molecular mechanism explains how certain Viruses, including HIV and hepatitis C, can actively make Immune cells less functional, allowing an infection to spread ahead of the body's immune response.
- The Immune System
- "Cruise ship virus" stows away in rare gut cells to avoid destruction
- Man-flu is real: Viruses can evolve to affect men and women differently
- Shark-derived compound could help fight Parkinson's
- Gluten intolerance could be caused (and prevented) by a common virus
- Universal flu vaccine targets backbone of the virus
- Engineered T-cell treatment helps keep cancer at bay