From towing kite propulsion to sails fitted with solar panels, modern engineers have been working hard to find ways to make our increasing reliance on big cargo shipping more energy efficient and environmentally friendly. Finnish company Norsepower has looked to the past for inspiration, finding a solution in a nearly century-old engineering innovation relegated to the annals of quirky mechanical history.
- Thinking inside the box: Machine makes boxes based on contents
- Rolls-Royce predicts robotic ships will be on the water by 2020
- Car-racking software is really packin' them in
- Pop Brixton houses local businesses in an upcycled shipping container campus
- Black Gold project imagines oil tankers as iconic Arabic architecture
- World's largest capacity container ship embarks on maiden voyage