The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition (TE) is one of the most popular and top-reviewed wired gaming headsets available today. As part of Razer’s acclaimed Kraken lineup, the Tournament Edition brings high-end features and customization specifically aimed at competitive and esports gaming.
Razer is a leading brand in the gaming peripherals space and their Kraken range of headsets have built a reputation for delivering excellent sound, comfort, and value. The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition improves on previous Kraken models with a host of upgrades designed with input from various professional gaming organizations and esports athletes.
Some of the key enhancements of the Tournament Edition include:
- Cooling Gel-Infused Ear Cushions – Prevent overheating and sweat buildup during intense, long tournament gaming sessions.
- Retractable Noise-Cancelling Microphone – Provides clearer voice comms with teammates while muting background noise. Easily retractable when not in use.
- On-Headset Audio Controls – Convenient access to volume adjustment and mic mute right on the ear cups. Easily accessible mid-game without disrupting play.
- Durable Aluminum & Steel Frame – The lightweight yet sturdy construction is designed for heavy tournament use. Flexible headband and glasses-friendly design.
- THX Spatial Audio – PC and Xbox One users get immersive surround sound for better positional audio and gaming immersion via the included USB digital audio controller.
Despite the focus on tournament-ready features, the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition still provides an amazing audio experience for all gaming genres including FPS, RPG, racing, and more. Powerful custom-tuned 50mm drivers deliver clear and accurate game sound with punchy bass. Wide compatibility allows using it with PC, Mac, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, VR systems, and mobile devices.
In this comprehensive review, we’ll dive deep into every aspect of the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition. From detailed audio analysis to design, comfort, and platform compatibility – we’ll cover everything you need to know about this versatile wired gaming headset. Let’s take a closer look at how the Kraken TE provides elite tournament-level performance while still being an excellent choice for casual gaming use as well.
The Kraken TE’s Durable Yet Comfortable Tournament Design
Razer engineered the Kraken Tournament Edition with a focus on maximizing comfort and durability for competitive gaming tournaments and intense play.
The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition features a lightweight yet rugged frame constructed from aluminum and steel. This provides:
- Durability – The metal construction is designed to withstand the rigors of daily competitive gaming use from travel to tournaments. The flexible headband and sturdy joints allow bending and twisting without breaking.
- Lightweight comfort – By minimizing the use of plastics, the Kraken TE weighs just 322 grams, reducing neck strain and pressure points during long gaming sessions. Players can wear it for hours without discomfort or fatigue.
- Flexibility – The metal headset frame has enough flex and “give” to fit the shape of most heads. The extendable headband adjusts to accommodate a wide range of head sizes too.
Cooling Gel Ear Cushions
To help competitive gamers stay cool under tournament pressure, the Kraken TE uses oval-shaped ear cushions that have a special cooling gel layer built in:
- The cooling gel reduces heat buildup and moisture retention around the ears, preventing sweatiness or discomfort after extended wear.
- Even after hours of continuous play, the unique cooling cushions keep the headset feeling dry and cool against the skin.
- The gel does not compromise cushion softness – it molds comfortably around eyeglasses and all ear shapes.
- Covered in smooth, sports-like fabric with foam padding, the cushions are gentle on the skin while isolating in-game audio.
On-Headset Audio Controls
For convenient in-game audio adjustments that don’t interrupt gameplay, the Kraken TE puts key controls right on the headset itself:
- The left earcup houses a volume wheel and mic mute switch within easy reach of the fingers during wear.
- Gamers can fine-tune volume or quickly mute their mic mid-match without having to fumble with cords or in-line controls.
- This allows focusing on the game while still tweaking audio settings on the fly.
Retractable Noise-Cancelling Mic
Finally, the Kraken TE’s retractable microphone provides clearer voice chat:
- The flexible mic boom retracts into the left earcup when not in use, muting all sound and getting out of the way.
- Noise cancellation technology reduces background sounds for clearer voice chat with teammates.
- The unidirectional mic optimally picks up your voice while minimizing ambient noise.
Overall, Razer engineered the Kraken Tournament Edition from head to mic to provide competitive gamers with maximum comfort, control, and audio clarity during tournament-style gameplay. It reduces fatigue so players can focus on the game.
Razer Kraken Tournament Edition: Audio Performance and Quality
In addition to its comfortable and durable design, the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition also delivers excellent in-game audio performance thanks to its custom-tuned drivers and surround sound capabilities.
- It uses custom-tuned 50mm neodymium audio drivers that are larger than most gaming headset drivers. This provides powerful and accurate sound reproduction across the frequency spectrum.
- The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition has a wide frequency response range of 12 Hz to 28 kHz. This allows it to produce deep low-end rumble all the way up to crisp highs for immersive gaming audio.
- For PC and Xbox One users, the Kraken TE unlocks virtual 7.1 surround sound when using the included USB digital audio controller. This provides more spatial awareness and positional accuracy in games.
- The surround sound powered by THX Spatial Audio gives audio more depth and immerses you inside the game environment. Directional sounds come through clearly.
- The noise-cancelling microphone cleanly picks up the user’s voice while minimizing external noise. This results in clear and consistent voice chat with teammates.
- The headset has been tested and tuned specifically for gaming audio. The sound reproduction provides natural clarity across first-person shooters, RPGs, racing games and more.
Overall, the Tournament Edition’s audio performance punches above its price class thanks to custom drivers, surround sound capabilities, and gaming-focused tuning. It excels at providing crucial in-game sound cues and communication clarity during competitive multiplayer gaming.
Features Purpose-Built for Tournament and Competitive Play
While great for all gamers, the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition stands out with several design elements, upgrades, and accessories that make it ideal for tournament-style and competitive esports use.
Cooling Gel Ear Cushions
The Kraken TE’s unique cooling gel-infused ear cushions give competitive gamers a key advantage during intense, sweat-inducing tournament action:
- The cooling gel layer helps prevent body heat buildup around the ears, keeping players drier and more comfortable.
- Excessive sweat can lead to irritation, slipping off the headset, and loss of concentration. The cooling gel cushions mitigate this issue.
- Even after marathon gaming sessions, the TE feels dry against the skin thanks to the moisture-wicking effect of the gel.
- Discomfort and sweat eventually cause distraction or fatigue. The cooling cushions allow gamers to maintain focus and stamina.
Retractable Noise-Cancelling Microphone
Communicating clearly with teammates during tournaments is crucial. The Kraken TE’s mic delivers:
- The mic’s noise-canceling properties result in clearer voice chat by reducing background sounds.
- Teammates will be able to understand instructions, call-outs, and strategies with minimal distortion or outside noise.
- When not gaming, the mic can be fully retracted into the earcup to mute transmissions and get out of the way.
On-Headset Audio Controls
Keeping hands on the controls during a tense tournament match is key. The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition puts controls at your fingertips:
- Easily tweak the volume or mute the mic without lifting your hands off your controller or keyboard mid-game.
- Helps optimize audio levels and microphone status without interrupting gameplay focus.
- Competitors don’t need to memorize hard-to-reach in-line control locations. Just use the accessible ear cup controls.
Durable and Flexible Construction
The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition is built to handle tournament travel and rigorous daily competitive use:
- The lightweight aluminum and steel frame resists damage from drops, impacts, twisting and bending.
- The materials used won’t degrade in performance quickly with heavy use like cheaper all-plastic headsets.
- It’s designed for years of use at the highest gaming levels. Casual headsets may not endure competitive abuse.
Compatibility With All Major Tournament Platforms
The Kraken TE works with all platforms used in popular esports tournaments:
- PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, VR systems, and mobile devices.
- Cables are included for universal console, PC, and mobile connectivity right out of the box.
Razer engineered the Kraken Tournament Edition to give esports athletes and hardcore competitive gamers specific ergonomic, communication, and audio advantages during tournaments and high-intensity play. It’s ideal for competitors looking to take their game to the next level.
Razer Kraken Tournament Edition Compatibility and Connectivity
One of the Kraken Tournament Edition’s strongest assets is its versatile compatibility across all major gaming platforms. It connects to everything a tournament or competitive gamer could need.
The Kraken TE works seamlessly with:
- Windows PC – Plug and play performance via the 3.5mm jack or USB sound card. Full surround sound support.
- Mac – Connect to Mac computers and laptops using the 3.5mm analog wired connection. Clear mic and audio.
- PlayStation 4 – Excellent PS4 headset with easy plug-and-play connection through the 3.5mm port on the DualShock or console itself.
- Xbox One – Get immersive surround sound by using the included USB sound card. Also works in stereo mode via 3.5mm jack.
- Nintendo Switch – Connects wirelessly docked or handheld for game audio and chat. The 3.5mm cord ensures wide compatibility.
- Mobile Devices – Use the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition with your smartphone, tablet, Nintendo Switch, or other mobile devices using the 3.5mm jack. In-line controls simplify adjusting the volume or taking calls.
- VR Headsets – Compatible with HTC Vive, Oculus Rift and other VR headsets via 3.5mm aux input. Enjoy immersive audio.
The Tournament Edition includes multiple cables for universal connectivity:
- 3.5mm Analog Cable – Use this widely compatible wired cable to connect to any device with a 3.5mm audio port, like PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mac, and mobile devices.
- USB Digital Audio Controller – This unlocked THX Spatial Audio 7.1 surround sound on PC and Xbox One. No software or drivers are required.
- PC Splitter Cable – Allows connecting the mic and headphone jacks separately to desktops with separate ports.
With the Kraken TE’s diverse connectivity options, tournament gamers can use a single headset across all platforms needed for various esports tournaments and competitive play. No need to change headsets between devices.
Kraken Tournament Edition vs. Other Razer Headsets
The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition occupies a versatile middle ground in Razer’s headset lineup. Here’s how it compares to other popular Razer models in terms of design, features, audio, and pricing.
Kraken Tournament Edition vs Kraken 7.1 V2
The Kraken 7.1 V2 lacks some of the Tournament Edition’s competitive-focused enhancements:
- The Kraken TE adds cooling gel cushions, retractable mic, on-headset controls
- Both deliver THX Spatial Audio surround sound on PC/Xbox
- The V2 relies on Synapse software for customization vs onboard controls
- The Tournament Edition has a more lightweight, flexible fit and frame
- Audio performance is very similar, powered by 50mm drivers
- The V2 costs slightly less than the Tournament Edition
For most gamers, the Tournament Edition’s competitive upgrades are worthwhile. But the V2 still delivers great surround sound at a lower price point.
Kraken TE vs Razer BlackShark V2
The wired BlackShark V2 provides a premium step up from the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition:
- BlackShark V2 has higher-end 50mm TriForce titanium drivers
- More advanced microphone with USB sound card for THX spatial audio
- Cooling gel cushions on both models
- BlackShark V2 has Chroma RGB lighting
- Much higher price – often over $100 more than the Kraken TE
- Kraken TE still provides excellent audio and mic performance
The BlackShark V2 justifies its premium price for enthusiasts who want high-fidelity audio and premium materials. But the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition gets you 90% of the way there for much less cost.
Kraken TE vs Razer Kraken X
The Kraken X model sits below the Tournament Edition:
- Lighter 7.1 surround sound vs. spatial audio on TE
- Less premium design lacking cooling gel cushions or retractable mic
- Much cheaper price – often 50% less than the Tournament Edition
- Kraken X is ideal for budget-minded gamers
- Kraken TE is far better for competitive play, durability and audio quality
For those on a tight budget, the Kraken X provides solid Razer gaming audio at an affordable price point. But the Tournament Edition gives a lot more competitive-focused benefits.
Conclusion – The Ideal Wired Gaming Headset for Competitors
After thoroughly testing and reviewing the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition, evaluating its design, audio quality, features, price, and more – it’s clear this headset excels as a competitive gamer’s companion.
Superb Audio for Gaming
The Kraken TE’s 50mm drivers and frequency response deliver stellar gaming audio reproduction. Footsteps, gunshots, engines – all sound incredibly crisp and realistic. The surround sound powered by THX Spatial Audio provides pinpoint directional awareness on supported platforms. Whether you dive into story-driven RPGs or fast-paced competitive FPS games, the Tournament Edition provides an immersive experience.
Ergonomics Built for Tournament Endurance
From the cooling gel cushions to the flexible metal design, lightweight fit, and accessible on-ear controls – every element of the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition is crafted to keep competitive players comfortable, focused, and at their best through marathon gaming. It reduces fatigue so gamers can maintain top performance for hours.
Durable and Built to Last
This isn’t a flimsy headset that will break after a few months of intense gaming. The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition is constructed from premium materials in a way that’ll stand up to years of daily use and travel. The sound and mic performance hold up impressively over time rather than degrading. It’s worth the investment.
Versatile Compatibility, Plug-and-Play Setup
The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition couldn’t be simpler to use across platforms. The quick setup requires no software or drivers. Just plug into a 3.5mm jack or USB port and start playing. The included cables and wide compatibility ensure tournament gamers can use it universally across PCs, consoles, mobile devices, and VR systems. No need to change headsets between tournament stations.
An Exceptional Value for the Price
Given the Kraken TE delivers premium gaming sound, comfort, durability, and accessories – it’s extremely reasonably priced, often under $100. Competitive gamers will be hard pressed to find a more well-rounded headset that enhances tournament performance as cost-effectively. The Razer Kraken Tournament Edition punches far above its class.
For any gamer pursuing competitive, tournament-level play, the Razer Kraken Tournament Edition belongs in your rig. Let us know in the comments if you have any other questions!
This post first appeared on DJI Mini 3 Pro: Finally, Pro-Quality Video In A Super Compact Drone, please read the originial post: here