Messi Considering Barca Exit
Playmaker Lionel Messi, 30, is said to be considering his future at Barcelona following the departure of Neymar, 25, and the club's failure to sign the likes of Philippe Coutinho, 25, and Angel Di Maria, 29.
Barcelona endured a nightmare summer, meaning Ernesto Valverde’s side face a huge fight to win La Liga in his first season in charge. The Catalan giants lost Neymar to Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain after Unai Emery’s team decided to pay his £198million buyout clause.
And they also struggled to sign the likes of Philippe Coutinho and Angel Di Maria from Liverpool and PSG respectively. And Spanish outlet Diario Gol says Lionel Messi is now seriously considering whether to call time on his Barcelona career.
It was announced back in July that the Argentina international had agreed to sign a new contract worth £500,000 a week.
But Diario Gol say he is still unwilling to put pen to paper until certain demands are met.
Messi is known to want Barcelona to change the erratic Transfer policies they have enforced in recent years. Suarez was the last genuinely big signing, arriving from Liverpool in the summer of 2014.
Barkley To Join Tottenham
The Starsport can reveal that the Everton midfielder travelled to London last Thursday after Chelsea had agreed a £35million deal to sign him.
But Barkley, 23, then changed his mind about reporting for a medical and instead returned to Merseyside.
Barkley tweeted yesterday: “Contrary to a number of reports in the press, I did not undertake a medical with any club at any point.
“I simply decided that due to my injury, it would be best to make a decision on my future and assess all my options in January when fully fit. Thanks for all of the support.”
Sources close to the proposed deal believe Barkley felt he was being stampeded into joining champions Chelsea, when his heart was set on signing for Spurs.
A deal with Tottenham never got off the ground throughout the summer transfer window, with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy refusing to meet Everton’s original valuation of £50m.
Spurs will now look to clinch a cut-price deal in January, when the next transfer window opens, as Barkley will be in the final six months of his contract at Goodison.
In Other News
Arsene Wenger has admitted he considered quitting Arsenal before signing a two-year contract this summer - but now insists the Gunners can still win the title this season. (Daily Mirror)
Manchester United could revive their interest in Antoine Griezmann, 26, as his release clause at Atletico Madrid is to be halved from its previous figure of £184m (€200m) when the Spanish club's transfer embargo ends in January. (Mundo Deportivo, via Daily Express)
Tottenham's 28-year-old Belgium international defender Toby Alderweireld, whose current contract runs until 2020, has urged the club to hand him an improved deal, insisting a host of other clubs are keen to sign him. (The Sun)
Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez has broken his silence after the collapse of his deadline day move to Manchester City. The 28-year-old forward wrote on Instagram: "You will realise that what today seems like a sacrifice, will end up being the greatest achievement of your life." (Manchester Evening News)
Crystal Palace boss Frank de Boer is prepared to change his favoured 3-4-3 formation but could still be sacked before next weekend's match with Burnley after three successive defeats and no goals to open his Premier League campaign. (Independent)
Serie A champions Juventus are lining up a January move for Liverpool midfielder Emre Can, 23. (Tuttosport, via Independent)
Arsene Wenger has said he will revisit his interest in Monaco forward Thomas Lemar, after confirming Arsenal submitted a late £92m bid for the 21-year-old France international before last month's deadline. (Guardian)
Former Manchester United and City forward Carlos Tevez, 33, says it is "very difficult to return" to his first club Boca Juniors in Argentina as his contract at Shanghai Shenhua is "very complex". (Guardian)
Ex-Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna, 34, is available on a free transfer after being released by Manchester City and has been linked with Crystal Palace, West Ham and Brighton. (Croydon Advertiser)
Tottenham's defensive midfielder Eric Dier, 23, insists he had no intention of asking for a transfer request amid summer interest from Manchester United. (Manchester Evening News)