For some users, that Microsoft webmail breach was worse than first thought.
Microsoft has confirmed a Motherboard source's claims that the Hackers had access to a portion of the email content, not just email addresses and subject lines.
It's not clear if the intruders read the email before Microsoft blocked access, but the company told the The Verge in a statement that the subset received "additional guidance and support."
The attack was apparently part of an effort to hijack the accounts of iCloud users, making it possible to disable the Activation Lock that prevents thieves from wiping a stolen iOS device's data.
However, Microsoft has hundreds of millions of webmail users with Outlook.com, Hotmail and MSN accounts.
Even a fraction of a percent could still represent a large number of compromised accounts.
- Microsoft admits hackers had access to some Outlook.com account detailsAppleInsider
- Outlook.com hack more extensive than Microsoft first claimed, email contents compromisedTechSpot
- Outlook and Hotmail HACKED leaving contents of some emails exposed for MONTHSMirror.co.uk
- Outlook and Hotmail users left exposed in Microsoft email breachTelegraph.co.uk
- Microsoft email hack was worse than first thought -- some users' messages were accessedBetaNews
- Microsoft admits Outlook.com hackers were able to access emailsThe Verge
- Microsoft warns Outlook users to change passwords after hackers gained accessIndependent.ie
- Microsoft warns Outlook was HACKED and crooks were able to see your emails for three months – how to stay safeThe Sun
- Microsoft users' emails exposed in data breachIrish Times
- Microsoft: Hackers compromised support agent's credentials to access customer email accountsTechCrunch
- Hackers Could Read Your Hotmail, MSN, and Outlook Emails by Abusing Microsoft SupportMotherboard
- Microsoft reveals hackers accessed some Outlook.com accounts for monthsThe Verge
- My Microsoft account was compromised - does this happen a lot? : microsoft - RedditReddit