I’ve covered too many mentally tough Big 5 basketball players over the last quarter century to even start a ranking list.
There was just no way to avoid this subject, since Temple got absolutely clobbered on the boards, giving up 16 offensive rebounds to 19 defensive ones for the Owls.
“To a man, they’re very long, very strong, and they’re relentless," Owls coach Fran Dunphy said after his team failed to hold on to a 14-point first-half lead and lost, 72-68.
Pointing to big plays that killed them, Dunphy started with a missed Cincinnati free throw, grabbed by the Bearcats for a put-back.
Another coach made the point earlier this weekend that good shooters missing free throws also can fall into the category of mental toughness, and Temple didn’t pass this test, either.
JOSE F. MORENO / Staff Photographer Alani Moore argues a call during Temple's loss to the Bearcats on Sunday.
- A game and more slips away as Temple falls to Cincinnati247Sports
- Temple coughs up 14-point lead in loss to CincinnatiNBCSports.com
- Temple coughs up 14-point lead and falls to Cincinnati, 72-68Philly.com
- McCaffery: Fran Dunphy 'lives for' coaching challenges at Temple ... and beyond?The Delaware County Daily Times
- UC overcomes 14-point deficit to win at TempleCincinnati.com
- Temple men's basketball can't overcome Cincinnati's second-half adjustmentsTemple News
- Temple Loses to Cincinnati Following Late Collapse 72-68Temple Update
- Men's basketball takes down TempleThe News Record
- Cincinnati 72, Temple 68: Berg's Reaction247Sports