Ski Jumper Casey Larson is competing in his first Olympic Games but he is already collecting accolades.
The teenager found out about his title just hours before competing in his first run, the qualifying round for the normal hill event.
“I was told just before the press conference this morning,” Larson said after progressing to Saturday’s final round.
He conducted an in-depth research process, across both Summer and Winter Games, to figure out when the milestone would be reached in competition.
That meant the 17th man to compete in this year’s Games would earn the title and make history.
Flying through the air for 100 meters is a hard enough task, so the teenager wants to make sure the momentous occasion doesn’t distract him before his jump.
He will compete alongside countrymen Mike Glasder, Will Rhoads, and Kevin Bickner in the finals on Saturday.
- Introducing the United States' top-secret ski jumping factoryYahoo Sports
- Barrington ski jumper becomes 100000th male to ever compete in the OlympicsChicago Tribune
- All 4 US men advance in normal hill qualifiersNBC Olympics
- US Ski Jumper Casey Larson Is The 100000th Man To Compete At The OlympicsTeamUSA.org
- Norge trio advance to Olympic ski jump finalsNorthwest Herald
- Chicago-Area Athletes Qualify for Olympic Ski Jumping CompetitionNBC Chicago
- Who is Kevin Bickner?wwlp.com
- The US ski jump team is purposely competing jet-lagged at the Olympics so they ...Business Insider
- Olympic Ski Jumping Is So Dangerous The Athletes Are Trying To Be Jet-Lagged ...The Daily Caller