Yesterday’s tumultuous U.S. stock session, which saw the Dow Jones Industrial Average drop as much as 1,500 points , has spread across the world.
In Europe, the Stoxx 600 Index was 1.8 percent lower at 5:45 a.m. Eastern Time, with every industry sector losing ground.
Trading in the VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short-Term ETN, which saw returns of 187 percent last year, was halted this morning.
A barrel of West Texas Intermediate for March delivery dropped to $63.85 by 5:45 a.m. as raw materials were caught in the market selloff.
There are some early signs of the overnight declines in metals easing as the Bloomberg Commodity Index pared losses to 0.1 percent .
Bitcoin briefly traded below $6,000 overnight as weakness in digital tokens continued, with Ripple, Ether and Litecoin also tumbling at least 11 percent.
- VIX: The 'fear index' has only been this high on 3 prior occasionsBusiness Insider
- Wall Street Turns Positive As Markets Regain Poise; Volatility Continues SurgeTheStreet.com
- Wall Street Fear Gauge Spikes Again, Taking VIX Past 50-Point MarkTheStreet.com
- Market Rout Shatters Lull in VolatilityWall Street Journal
- Volatility Jump Has Traders Asking About VIX Note Poison PillBloomberg
- 'Short-volatility Armageddon' craters a pair of Wall Street's most popular ...MarketWatch
- Investors Suffer Heavy Losses on Bets Against VolatilityWall Street Journal
- BARCLAYS: A group of niche volatility traders will sell $225 billion of US ...Business Insider
- Volatility expectations swell: Vix tops 40 for first time since 2015Financial Times