Texas A&M announced the hiring on Thursday, a few hours after Fighting Irish coach Brian Kelly posted on Twitter that Elko had accepted an offer to be the Aggies' defensive coordinator.
Elko was at Notre Dame for one season and the Fighting Irish defense took a big step forward, from 5.40 yards per play allowed (45th in the nation) to 5.05 (25th).
Texas A&M tried to hire Dave Aranda away from LSU, but he chose to stay with the Tigers and signed a four-year deal worth $10 million on Wednesday night.
He started his coaching at his alma mater and did stints at FCS schools Fordham, Richmond and Hofstra before becoming defensive coordinator at Bowling Green for Dave Clawson in 2009.
With the Demon Deacons, Elko developed attacking defenses that created negative plays without a lot of highly recruited players.
- Notre Dame loses defensive coordinator Mike Elko to Texas A&MChicago Tribune
- Notre Dame football: 8 candidates to replace departing DC Mike ElkoDieHards
- Mike Elko departs Notre Dame after just one season for same position at Texas A&MCBSSports.com
- Texas A&M hires Notre Dame's Mike Elko as defensive coordinatorYahoo Sports
- Texas A&M to hire Notre Dame's Mike Elko as new defensive coordinator; report ...Dallas News
- Texas A&M hires a defensive coordinator away from a school LSU just facedNOLA.com
- Report: Notre Dame defensive coordinator Mike Elko leaving for Texas A&MDieHards
- Defensive coordinator Mike Elko leaving Notre Dame for Texas A&MNotre Dame Insider
- Texas A&M to hire Notre Dame's Mike Elko as defensive coordinatorSECcountry.com