Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy added 13 points each and Devon Hall had 12 for the Cavaliers (13-1, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference), who ended a two-game losing streak in Cassell Coliseum.
The Seminoles (12-2, 1-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) led most of the game but almost squandered it as they didn't make a field goal in the last 2:57 and missed their last four free throws.
They were up 81-77 on Angola's free throw before Joel Berry II made a 3-pointer off a turnover to bring the Tar Heels within 81-80 with 30 seconds remaining.
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander capped his 18-point night with two free throws with 16 seconds left, and Kevin Knox had 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Wildcats (12-2, 2-0 Southeastern Conference), who survived their first true road test this season.
BOSTON (AP) — Donte Grantham scored 23 points and grabbed 14 rebounds, and Marcquise Reed hit two key free throws for Clemson in its first game in the national rankings in nearly eight years.
- Poor start sinks UNC late in ACC loss to Florida StateDurham Herald Sun
- College basketball: Florida State upends North CarolinaSTLtoday.com
- Florida State takes down No. 11 North Carolina 81-80Tallahassee.com
- Seminoles hold on for upset of No. 12 Tar HeelsTampabay.com
- Seminoles hold on to edge North Carolina, extend home winning streak to 28 gamesFlorida Times-Union
- North Carolina, other Final Four squads from 2017 not the sameESPN (blog)
- Top 25 college basketball rounduptheday.com
- No. 24 Noles Hold Off No. 12 Heels in 81-80 TriumphSeminoles.com
- No. 24 FSU barely survives late UNC rally, upsets No. 12 Tar HeelsReuters