Mobile-phone companies, chipmakers, device manufacturers and software developers will need to spend about $200 billion a year in research and capital expenses to get there.
And engineers will have to find ways to get the technology to work around interference from trees and rain and provide a strong enough signal to handle the anticipated demand.
AT&T says it has laid the groundwork for 5G through network upgrades in 23 cities and fixed wireless trials in Kalamazoo, Michigan; South Bend, Indiana; Waco and Austin Texas.
- AT&T Launching 5G Mobile Service In Dozen Cities In 2018International Business Times
- AT&T will roll out next generation 5G mobile internet to its customers this yearCNBC
- AT&T to start 5G service in some cities this yearWeek Facts
- AT&T to launch a real mobile 5G network by the end of 2018Phone Arena
- AT&T to provide 5G to 12 markets by end of 2018, fibre to 82 metros by mid-2019ZDNet
- AT&T plans to launch ultrafast 5G wireless in 'dozen markets' later this yearWRAL Tech Wire
- AT&T (T) Plans to Launch Mobile 5G in 2018StreetInsider.com
- AT&T Announces that it will be launching their Mobile 5G Network in a Dozen US ...Patently Apple
- AT&T to launch 5G service in Atlanta this yearAtlanta Business Chronicle