Moments later it was a sky bursting with raised fists as Georgia’s Sony Michel rumbled across a deep green stretch of the Arroyo Seco for a touchdown.
In the middle of the giddy Bulldogs locker room afterward there was a giant empty rose bush, its treasures plucked by players carrying flowers to the team bus.
Down the hall, in the middle of Sooners’ locker room, there were only scattered duffle bags, large bits of torn tape and the mournful looks of a team that knows it blew it.
That ride ended for the Sooners in the second overtime when Carter seemingly flew out of nowhere to block Seibert’s field goal attempt, followed by Michel’s winning touchdown run.
When it was over, those grinding Bulldogs were dancing around the Seco while those stunned Sooners were frozen in place, sitting or crouching or, in the case of Parker, kneeling for a long time in the end zone as the winners converged around him.
- Alabama Bulldozes Into 3rd Straight Title Game; Georgia Runs By OklahomaNPR
- Georgia survives Oklahoma in classic, back-and-forth Rose Bowl in double overtimeUSA TODAY
- College Football Playoff: Georgia Outlasts Oklahoma in Rose BowlNew York Times
- 'It's Been a Wild Ride' – Baker Mayfield | The ScoopFOXSports.com
- Sooners just go boom after Georgia busts through in OTThe Register-Guard
- Instant classic: Georgia outlasts Oklahoma in Rose Bowl for the agesYahoo Sports
- Baker Mayfield's legendary OU career comes to a close at the Rose Bowl: 'I can ...Dallas News (blog)
- College Football Playoff: Georgia outlasts Oklahoma in Rose Bowl for the agesWashington Post
- Georgia beats Oklahoma 54-48 in Rose Bowl in double overtime, advances to ...NCAA.com