Asteroid 2015 TB145 first cruised by our planet in 2015, but the creepy space rock is headed back towards us for another visit, and scientists are keeping a very close eye on it.
At the moment, astronomers forecast that its next flyby will occur in November of 2018, and they’re eager to learn more about the peculiar visitor.
During its most recent pass, radar images captured by the National Science Foundation’s Arecibo Observatory revealed the asteroid’s skull-like appearance.
As for its origins, it’s thought that the asteroid might actually be an extremely old comet which has since run dry of its icy shell, leaving just a battered hunk of rock behind.
Astronomers were able to observe the object in impressive detail in 2015, but it seems as though they’ll need to wait until closer to the end of the century before getting another good look at it.
- Photos Of The "Halloween Asteroid" Will Terrify You Because It Looks Like A SkullElite Daily
- The Skull-Shaped 'Halloween Asteroid' is Coming Back in 2018TIME
- Creepy skull-like rock dubbed 'the Halloween asteroid' set to haunt Earth ...The Sun
- Spooky Skull-Shaped Asteroid Will Haunt Earth Again in 2018Yahoo News UK
- The Skull-Shaped Halloween Asteroid 2015 TB145 Is Returning In 2018Tech Times
- Skull-shaped asteroid approaching EarthExpressNewsline
- Human skull-shaped asteroid to give closest visit to EarthThe TeCake
- This Skull-Shaped Asteroid Is Coming Back to Haunt Earth Next YearBrinkwire (press release)
- Gigantic asteroid that appears like HUMAN SKULL to brush previous Earth – and ...Kaplan Herald