Hints that Rin, who makes her debut in the upcoming game, is a trans woman have fans concerned that her storyline may not handle representation well.
We don’t know much about Rin yet (even her age is a mystery), other than that she’s voiced by popular actress Aya Hirano and that Vincent becomes romantically entangled with her as well.
But the trailer’s final scene is the most concerning indication for Dale and others that Atlus is using Rin’s gender for shock value and comedy.
This is confirmed both by a subplot in which a man she’s slept with is admonished for having done so, and in the end credits, where Erica is referred to by her deadname, the name she went by prior to her transition.
Compounded by other Atlus games making light of queer representation (which we noted in our review of Persona 5 ) and the fact that transphobia can often lead to physical assault or even murder , Catherine: Full Body ’s trailer isn’t imbuing much confidence in critics like Dale, who have expressed disappointment on social media.
- 'Catherine: Full Body' Japanese Trailer Predictably Sexy But StrangeBloody Disgusting
- PS4 And Vita's Catherine Remake, Full Body, Will Release In The WestGameSpot
- First Trailer for Catherine: Full Body Released, Heading WestHardcore Gamer
- Let's Wait Before We Condemn Rin And Catherine: Full BodyAttack of the Fanboy
- Catherine: Full Body's Premiere Trailer Seems to Hint at New Love Interest ...Comicbook.com
- Catherine Remake Is Already Causing ControversyKotaku
- Catherine: Full Body Confirmed for the WestIGN
- Catherine: Full Body Will Seduce the West with New Character, Storyline ...Develop
- Atlus Shows Project Re Fantasy, Catherine: Full BodyRPGamer.com