After Jedd Gyorko led off with a walk, Jose Martinez singled up the middle and Paul DeJong followed with a looping base hit just out of the reach of Cubs shortstop Addison Russell to make it 1-0.
Clinging to their wild-card hopes and trying to keep Chicago from clinching the NL Central Division title at Busch Stadium, the Cardinals square off with the Cubs Wednesday at 6:08 p.m. in the third game of the four-game series.
The Cubs (88-69) enter Wednesday's action with a magic number of 1, needing a win _ or a Milwaukee loss _ will give the defending World Series champs their second consecutive division crown.
For the Cubs, Rene Rivera replaces Willson Contreras behind the plate, with Baez back at second after missing most of Tuesday's game after fouling a ball of his knee on Monday night.
Rodriguez, 44, has been with the organization 10 years, directing the Cardinals' amateur scouting efforts overseas and supervising the player development and facility operations at the team's Dominican Republic Academy.
- MLB Wednesday scores, highlights, news, updates: Altuve reaches 200 hits againCBSSports.com
- Tommy Pham On Hit By Pitch: 'Definitely On Purpose … I'm Going to Remember It'CBS St. Louis
- MLB playoff picture: Clinching scenarios for Wednesday with Cubs, Twins closeCBSSports.com
- Cardinals' Tommy Pham Has Beef With The CubsCBS Chicago
- 'Nacho man' relates Cub's collision with snacks in St. LouisMetroNews Canada
- Cubs magic number stands at 1; Chicago fans optimistic in WrigleyvilleWLS-TV
- Late Season Offensive TrendsViva El Birdos
- Wild Card Tracker: When everybody wins, Cardinals loseSTLtoday.com
- St. Louis Cardinals prevent Chicago Cubs from clinching NL Central Division titleUPI.com