After a walk to Darwin Barney, Pomeranz gave up back-to-back infield singles, the second of which was a one-hopper that kicked off the first base bag and jumped away from Hanley Ramirez.
Manager John Farrell said Pomeranz was late getting over to the bag to cover first base on the weird hop to Ramirez, something the pitcher has struggled to do all season.
Pomeranz (16-6, 3.38 ERA) stayed in the game to open the third inning, but manager John Farrell had seen enough after Jose Bautista led off with a single on an 89-mph fastball.
Farrell said he’d ideally like to rest Pomeranz for the remainder of the regular season, if the Sox close out the division before his turn comes around again on Saturday, when the AL West champion Houston Astros will be at Fenway.
The Sox made it a 5-3 game in the fifth inning when Betts reached for a low-and-away changeup and blooped a single into shallow right field to score Xander Bogaerts.
- Red Sox notebook: Eduardo Nunez reinjures knee in return to lineupBoston Herald
- BlueJays 6, Red Sox 4: Drew Pomeranz hit hard in Sox' lossMetroWest Daily News
- Donaldson, Blue Jays stop Red Sox winning streak at 6News & Observer
- Eduardo Nunez injury update: Boston Red Sox infielder hopes to return to ...MassLive.com
- Hernandez continues to impress Jays with late power surgeNational Post
- Mookie Betts injury update: Boston Red Sox right fielder dealing with left ...MassLive.com
- Boston's Mookie Betts, Eduardo Nunez exit with injuries, Drew Pomeranz ...Sporting News
- Red Sox All-Star leaves game early in loss to Blue JaysWCVB Boston
- Red Sox: Mookie Betts' September surge helps keep Boston atop AL East standingsWorcester Telegram