His remarks appeared to refer to Colin Kaepernick — formerly with the San Francisco 49ers, but currently without a team — who last year drew national attention for refusing to stand during “The Star-Spangled Banner” prior to kickoff.
The comments have come under harsh criticism from the NFL and some of the NBA’s top players, putting the President in the center of a controversy with significant racial and cultural undertones.
All the time — not just now, but tomorrow and whenever you, whenever you, whenever you need to interrupt hate, stand down bigotry, condemn sexism and find love for all of our global brothers and sisters every day,” Wonder said.
Other entertainers, athletes respond Oakland A’s catcher Bruce Maxwell also took a knee during the national anthem Saturday, the first Major League Baseball player to do so, according to the San Francisco Chronicle
- Former Congressman Calls Stevie Wonder 'Another Ungrateful Black Multi ...Digital Music News
- Stevie Wonder Takes a Knee and Green Day Rouses the Crowd at Global Citizen ...TIME
- Stevie Wonder kneels for the poorGulf Times
- Green Day blasts 'dumb Trump America' at Global Citizen FestivalEW.com (blog)
- 'I'm taking a knee for America': Stevie Wonder joins a movement Trump deploresWashington Post
- Concert Review: Stevie Wonder Takes a Knee, Duets With Pharrell Williams at ...Variety
- Stevie Wonder Took a Knee “for America” at the Global Citizen FestivalVanity Fair
- Stevie Wonder kneels 'for America' after Trump rips NFL playersGears Of Biz
- Stevie Wonder takes both knees onstage 'for America' after Donald Trump remarksThe Sydney Morning Herald