"No matter how much respect I have for her as a performer, I could never wrap my head around the fact that she wouldn’t look me in the eye and tell me that I was reductive or whatever," she said, explaining that she saw Madonna's comments on television rather than from the singer herself.
Throughout the Documentary Gaga is open about her struggle with chronic pain, which she says she has been chasing for five years with what we now know is fibromyalgia, which has caused her to cancel the European leg of her current tour.
"If I'm going to be sexy at the VMAs and sing about the paparazzi, I'm going to do it while bleeding to death and reminding you of what fame did to Marilyn Monroe, the original Norma Jean—and what it did to Anna Nicole Smith," she said.
The documentary is framed around the halftime performance being the pinnacle moment of her career, and it's a wonder she pulled off a stellar show when you consider that the superstar was simultaneously dealing with a public breakup, fibromyalgia, and finishing an album in the midst of it all.
Throughout the documentary, Gaga references taking photos with her fans —and in one touching scene, surprises a dedicated Little Monster through a radio station and is moved to tears at the love.
- Gaga: Five Foot Two review – pint-sized music doc wallows in self reflectionThe Guardian
- 'Gaga: Five Foot Two' shows a singer in debilitating pain, working on an image ...Chicago Daily Herald
- Gaga: Five Foot Two is a strangely unironic documentary about the trauma of ...EW.com (blog)
- Lady Gaga Talks Complications of Fame: 'It Is Lonely, It Is Isolating… It Is ...PEOPLE.com
- Lady Gaga says chronic pain condition could stop her from starting a familyMirror.co.uk
- Five Foot Two Shows How Gaga's Fame Has Hurt Her Love LifeRefinery29
- Lady Gaga: Fame is not all it's cracked up to bePage Six
- Lady Gaga gets personal in her new documentary 'Gaga: Five Foot Two,' but can ...Los Angeles Times
- Who's Mark Ronson? Get To Know Lady Gaga's Charming Producer Pal From 'Gaga ...Decider