Via a transcript of the comments posted by Bryan Graham of The Guardian, Trump gave his thoughts on the sport:
President Donald Trump speaks during a campaign rally for Senate candidate Luther Strange, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, in Huntsville, Ala. (AP)
When people like yourselves turn on the television and you see those players taking the knee when they’re playing our great national anthem.
Players like Colin Kaepernick, Michael Bennett, Malcolm Jenkins and others have repeatedly said they are not protesting the anthem itself, but rather the racial inequality and injustice that continue in this country.
This isn’t the first time Trump has mentioned the anthem protests; at a rally in March, he said Nfl Owners won’t sign Kaepernick because ">they’re afraid he would tweet about them and bring negative attention.
- The Latest: Trump blasts NFL players who kneel during anthemSFGate
- Failed USFL owner Donald Trump offers explanation for NFL's issues with player ...SB Nation
- Trump addresses NFL national anthem protesters – and gets explicitTheBlaze.com
- Trump: NFL owners should fire players who kneel during national anthemThe Hill
- Trump: NFL owners should fire players who protest the national anthemWCYB
- Watch: Trump Says NFL Owners Should 'Fire' National Anthem ProtestorsSports Illustrated
- Trump Blasts NFL Players Who Kneel During Anthem; 'Get That SOB Off The Field'CBS Detroit
- President Donald Trump criticizes NFL player protests, says fans should exit ...ESPN
- Trump rips NFL player protestsPolitico