That total ended up being seven shots back of fellow Australian Marc Leishman , who blitzed the field, shooting rounds of 62, 64, 68 and Sunday's final-round four-under 67 to win by five strokes in wire-to-wire fashion at 23-under 261.
His 29th and final birdie of the week came from 20 feet at the 18th hole to cap off the biggest victory of his career.
Tony Finau, sitting at 39th prior to the BMW, needed a good week to get into the TOUR Championship, and delivered it.
The 2016 Puerto Rico Open winner finished at 13-under 271 in a tie for seventh, which vaulted him 15 spots into 24th.
Patrick Cantlay's Tour Championship hopes were in doubt on his way to the 18th green, but he was able to hole a 10-footer for birdie to finish in a tie for ninth at 12-under 272.
- Leishman wins BMW Championship and sets sight on $10 millionBeloit Daily News
- GOLF: Leishman fends off Rose challenge to win BMW ChampionshipBemidji Pioneer
- Leishman gets redemption in Chicagomessenger-inquirer
- BMW Championship: Marc Leishman wins, Justin Rose and Rickie Fowler secondBBC Sport
- Dew Sweeper: March Leishman wins, Phil Mickelson's near miss and more drama at ...GolfDigest.com
- Suddenly, Rose has a shot at the FedExCupGolf Channel
- Leishman gets redemption in Chicago, wins BMW ChampionshipLa Crosse Tribune
- BMW Championship grades: Marc Leishman goes wire-to-wire for titleCBSSports.com
- Leishman culminates big week in Lake Forest with a winIndia.com