The 2016 American Athletic Conference offensive player of the year also Scored his 32nd rushing touchdown, tying Marlon Mack's school record.
The Bulls (3-0) beat a Big Ten opponent for the first time on a night the university honored first responders who worked the last week to help victims of the massive storm that impacted the entire state of Florida.
Illinois (2-1) stumbled in what also was a homecoming of sorts for coach Lovie Smith, who returned to the stadium where he led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for two seasons before being fired and accepting the challenge of rebuilding the Illini.
Illini freshman Mike Epstein scored on a 46-yard run and a 21-yard pass from Jeff George Jr., who replaced starter Chayce Crouch in the second half.
Arizona 63, at Texas El Paso 16: Brandon Dawkins scored six touchdowns — three passing and three rushing — to lead the Wildcats to the lopsided victory.
- USF's Charlie Strong: We wanted night to be 'special' for Irma victimsESPN
- Familiar slow start, strong finish for USF in win vs. IllinoisTampabay.com
- Breakdown: Two targeting calls among near-record 31 penalties in USF-IllinoisCBSSports.com
- Fennelly: At USF game, everyone has power — of loveTampabay.com
- Illinois-South Florida recap: score, stats analysis for Week 3 game (09/15/2017)Landof10.com
- Illinois Football: What Lovie Smith said after a 47-23 loss to No. 22 South ...Landof10.com
- Fennelly: This is how USF is supposed to lookTampabay.com (blog)
- No freshman blues for EpsteinChampaign/Urbana News-Gazette
- Too many penaltiesChampaign/Urbana News-Gazette