Two victories apiece over outmatched opponents — LSU throttled BYU and Chattanooga, State walloped Charleston Southern and Louisiana Tech — really don’t shed much light on who will win.
State and Dak Prescott won 34-29 in Tiger Stadium in 2014, a lopsided game for the Bulldogs most of the night but one that had Brandon Harris winging a Hail Mary prayer into the end zone on the final play.
Of course, as the Prescott-led victory showed three years ago, a great quarterback is always a potential equalizer if he’s allowed time to operate, and the Bulldogs have a scary dual threat in Nick Fitzgerald, who led the SEC in total yards gained last season.
So do the Bulldogs and Fitzgerald, who was stuffed inside a discarded popcorn box last year in Tiger Stadium by an LSU defense that allowed him to net just 1 yard per carry on 13 rushing attempts.
One would like to imagine upon learning that his star pupil could come out to play, Aranda raced to his office, pulled down a portrait of Bill Arnsparger, spun the tumblers on the wall safe behind it and drew out a manila envelope with the code words “Turn Key Solution” stamped on it.
- Bayou Bengal Briefing: How many kickers will LSU use vs. Mississippi State?SECcountry.com
- LSU at Mississippi State: Prediction, pick, odds, TV channel, live stream ...CBSSports.com
- LSU football podcast: If Tigers are elite, they don't lose to programs like ...SECcountry.com
- Orgeron returning to StarkvilleNortheast Mississippi Daily Journal
- Deke: Tigers set to face Bulldogs in Stark-VegasWWL First News (blog)
- Several LSU players remain in limbo entering SEC play against Mississippi StateThe Advocate
- LSU preparing to face a 'complete quarterback' in Mississippi State's Nick ...NOLA.com
- Mississippi State starts tough stretch with No. 12 LSUWTOP
- No. 12 LSU, Mississippi State bracing for physical SEC opener (Sep 16, 2017)FOXSports.com