The 31-year-old Spaniard claimed his third US Open title with a straightforward 6-3 6-3 6-4 victory at Flushing Meadows on Monday (AEST).
The 31-year-old South African never had been past the quarter-finals at any major tournament in 33 previous appearances, so when he won his semi-final on Friday, he climbed into the stands to celebrate.
Rafael Nadal, of Spain, reacts after beating Kevin Anderson, of South Africa, to win the men's singles final of the US Open.Source: APNadal’s career haul also includes two trophies from Wimbledon and one from the Australian Open.
Not since Pete Sampras at Wimbledon in 2000 had a man won a major tournament without facing any opponents ranked in the top 20.
In New York this time, the bracket was weakened by the injury withdrawals of three of the top five men: past champions Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Wawrinka.
- The Latest: Hingis wins doubles with Chan for 25th majorThe Sun Herald
- Rafael Nadal and Kevin Anderson form unlikely pair of finalists at end of ...National Post
- Rafael Nadal has only gotten stronger as the US Open has progressedTennis Magazine
- A brief history of the US OpenHindustan Times
- Highlights of US Open 14th dayReuters India
- US Open 2017: Rafael Nadal blasts STUPID rule about coaches… but Roger ...Express.co.uk
- 'A long journey' – Kevin Anderson set for debut Grand Slam final against ...Gears Of Biz
- US Open 2017, Men's Singles Final | Rafael Nadal v/s Kevin Anderson: Live ...Daily News & Analysis
- Rafael Nadal shows sympathy for world victims after winning US OpenUSA TODAY