T-Mobile will provide free Netflix subscriptions to new and existing T-Mobile One family plan customers in what the company describes as an exclusive partnership with the popular streaming service.
It’s the latest “Un-carrier” initiative from the Bellevue, Wash.-based wireless company, seeking to further differentiate T-Mobile from its larger rivals, AT&T and Verizon.
Asked about the details of the Netflix agreement, T-Mobile CEO hinted that it’s no small expense for the wireless company.
The move reflects the rise of mobile video as an alternative to viewing on traditional television screens.
T-Mobile cites a Nielsen study saying that “Americans will watch more media, including TV, on our smartphones and other devices (56%) than we do on TVs (44%)” as of the fourth quarter of this year.
- Like Netflix? T-Mobile is giving it away for freeCNET
- T-Mobile Netflix On UsDroid Life
- T-Mobile Giving Netflix Free to Family-Plan Unlimited SubscribersVariety
- T-Mobile's unlimited data family plans now include free NetflixThe Verge
- T-Mobile Sweetens Plan With Free Netflix Ahead of New iPhoneBloomberg
- T-Mobile One family plans now include NetflixBGR
- T-Mobile to give free Netflix subscriptions to its smartphone customersArs Technica
- T-Mobile US to offer free Netflix with family planYahoo Finance
- T-Mobile Offers Free Netflix to Lure New CustomersWall Street Journal (subscription)