Pershing County Sheriff Jerry Allen identified the man as Aaron Joel Mitchell, 41, who died Sunday morning at the UC Davis hospital burn center in California.
Allen said doctors confirmed Mitchell wasn’t under the influence of alcohol but that a toxicology report is pending as part of the investigation.
About 70,000 people are attending the Burning Man art and music celebration in the Black Rock Desert, about 100 miles (161 kilometers) north of Reno.
The nine-day Festival culminates with the burning of a towering 40-foot effigy made of wood, a symbol of rebirth, which usually happens the Saturday before the Labor Day holiday.
Attendees have tried before to run into the Flames while the man is burning and there have been reported injuries from people trying to get a piece of the spectacle as a token and going through the hot coals.
- Man dead after running into flames at Burning Man during torching of giant effigyUSA TODAY
- Man Rescued From the Flames at Burning Man Festival Has DiedHollywood Reporter
- Man who ran into Burning Man fire dies89.3 KPCC
- Man Who Ran Into Burning Man Festival Fire DiesBillboard
- Aaron Joel Mitchell: 5 Fast Facts You Need to KnowHeavy.com
- Man who ran into flames at Burning Man festival has diedSacramento Bee
- Man dead after running into the flames at Burning Man festivalFox News
- Man Dies From Running Into Burning Man Effigy At The End Of Burning ManLAist
- Stunned Burning Man festival-goers watch man run into flamesNew Zealand Herald