3 Florida State, the Crimson Tide got started on what has become its annual quest for the national title with a 24-7 beatdown of the Seminoles on Saturday night at $1.5 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
Damien Harris ran for a touchdown and blocked a punt, while Jalen Hurts chipped in with a scoring pass in a game that basically required the sophomore quarterback to make no major mistakes.
Coming off a last-second loss in last season's title game, Alabama picked off two passes by Deondre Francois in the second half, snuffing out any hopes of a Florida State comeback.
Levi Wallace and Mack Wilson both had interceptions, and Francois' night ended with him being helped off the field — putting no weight on his left knee — after being sacked from behind by blitzing safety Ronnie Harrison.
It was all for naught when, on the ensuing kickoff, Keith Gavin muffed the ball in the end zone, picked it up, ran into one of his own men, and then fumbled on a hit by Moses.
- Baylor knocked off by Liberty, its fired AD's new employerNBCSports.com
- Chase is on in college football, and Alabama leads the packESPN
- Deondre Francois' injury casts shadow over Florida State's seasonYahoo Sports
- No. 1 Alabama smothers No. 3 Florida State in opener, 24-7New York Daily News
- In clash of titans, No. 1 Alabama's defense is too much for No. 3 Florida StateWashington Post
- Tale of two halves as No. 3 Florida State loses 24-7 to No. 1 AlabamaTampabay.com (blog)
- Alabama routs Florida State, could be back for two more big games at Mercedes ...Orlando Sentinel
- Alabama throttles Florida State in Atlanta openerChattanooga Times Free Press
- College football: Top-ranked Alabama shuts down No. 3 Florida StateLos Angeles Times