He was coming off a fine run at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati, where he defeated Rafael Nadal in the quarterfinals and later advanced to the final before losing to Grigor Dimitrov.
■ CoCo Vandeweghe , who reached the Australian Open semifinals and the Wimbledon quarterfinals this year, defeated her fellow American Alison Riske, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Further complicating the scene, Bouchard is the plaintiff in an active lawsuit against the U.S.T.A., seeking damages for a concussion she sustained at the tournament in 2015, which she said was caused by a slippery floor.
From February through the fourth round of the French Open, she compiled a 31-8 record, which included a title in St. Petersburg; finals in Acapulco, Stuttgart and Madrid; and a semifinal in Indian Wells.
But after an electrifying win in the fourth round of the French Open over the defending champion Garbiñe Muguruza, Mladenovic has stalled, going 7-10 and losing her last five matches, all in straight sets.
- Two Zverevs Take the Court in Queens, and Only One AdvancesNew York Times
- No. 4 seed Zverev finds US Open loss rather, well, upsettingWTOP
- Tennis: Young gun Zverev beaten by Coric at US OpenReuters India
- US Open 2017: Alexander Zverev beaten in four sets by Borna CoricBBC News
- Alexander Zverev can't hide devastation after 'upsetting' US Open exitMetro
- Missed opportunity haunts Zverev after exitSuperSport (blog)
- Bracket Buster: Coric opens up draw with upset of No. 4 seed ZverevTennis Magazine
- Shock US Open wins for Coric, ShapovalovYahoo7 News
- Coric completes comeback to upset Zverev at US OpenAOL UK