Shortly after learning Russell was scratched from his second minor-league rehab start for Triple-A Iowa due to soreness in his recovering right foot, the Cubs produced a season-high 20 hits Wednesday night in a 17-3 win against the Pirates that completed a three-game sweep.
Thanks to three hits and four RBIs by rookie Ian Happ and two home runs by Kyle Schwarber , the Cubs maintained their 3 1/2-game lead over the Brewers in the National League Central.
Without Russell, the Cubs might have to seek a backup shortstop to Baez before Thursday night's waiver trade deadline.
The offensive surge alleviated the heavy freight on the left shoulder of Jose Quintana, who was tagged for six runs on nine hits in a loss to the lowly Phillies on Friday.
Josh Bell followed with a deep drive to right-center that forced Jay to sprint to the warning track to make the catch at full speed.
- Chicago Cubs get mixed injury newsChicago Daily Herald
- Cubs shortstop Addison Russell scratched from rehab assignment with foot sorenessChicago Tribune
- Cubs SS Russell has setback in recovery from foot injuryTSN
- Cubs' Addison Russell Scratched From Rehab Start, Sent Back To Chicago For ...CBS Chicago
- Setback for Addison Russell means Cubs could be looking for another shortstopComcast SportsNet Chicago
- Cubs SS Addison Russell reportedly suffers another setbackSporting News
- Addison Russell scratched from rehab assignmentFanRag Sports (blog)
- Addison Russell scratched from rehab assignment with plantar fasciitisESPN
- Cubs' Addison Russell: Rehab stalls, to be evaluated in ChicagoCBSSports.com