Last Thursday evening, William Byron was hanging out at home when he got a phone call he likely won’t forget anytime soon.
It’s a family legacy as much as one of excellence, and it dates back to 1976, the first year the elder Elliott raced it in the Cup series.
As for Byron, he told the Observer on Tuesday that he isn’t intimidated by the number; rather, he’s excited to prove that he deserves it, that he can be the next great driver for Hendrick Motorsports, which is currently undergoing a youth movement of sorts.
Byron was an aspiring NASCAR Xfinity Series driver, and Gordon said he should sign with Hendrick Motorsports.
He did, and a year later, he’s earned a spot in the Cup series – that, and a chance to reward the driver who helped jumpstart his career.
- William Byron to drive No. 24 next year; Chase Elliott brings back No. 9Nascar
- Hendrick Motorsports to change car numbers for 2018 seasonMotorsport.com, Edition: Global
- Chase Elliott moving to father's No. 9 in number swapKSNT News
- Hendrick Motorsports drivers chime in on Elliott, Byron number newsNascar
- Chase Elliott to drive the #9 in 2018; William Byron in the #24ESPN
- Chase Elliott to race father's iconic No. 9 car for 2018 seasonSporting News
- Like father like son: Chase Elliott to drive No. 9 car made popular by dad ...ESPN
- Byron to drive No. 24, Elliott in No. 9 for Hendrick Motorsports next NASCAR ...CBSSports.com
- Chase Elliott will switch to car No. 9 next season, same number as Hall of ...SB Nation