Everyone figured Matthew Stafford’s extension with the Detroit Lions would beat Carr’s five-year, $125 million deal, and that came true Monday.
Stafford’s deal is also for five years and makes him the highest paid NFL player ever, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said .
Join for free ] Among those who hadn’t paid attention to the salary landscape among NFL quarterbacks, expect a lot of freak-outs.
However, the chances of the Lions letting Stafford go in free agency and finding a better quarterback right away were very, very slim.
They had to pay him, and hope that he continues to play at this level – or show an improvement – and build a better team around him.
- Matthew Stafford contract will reportedly make him highest-paid NFL player everSB Nation
- Lions QB Matthew Stafford to become highest-paid NFL playerESPN
- Lions make Matthew Stafford highest-paid player in NFL, reports saySporting News
- Lions, Matthew Stafford agree to 5-year contract extension; $27 million a yearDetroit Free Press
- Stafford, Lions agree to landmark dealThe Detroit News
- Lions ink Matthew Stafford to largest deal in NFL historyMLive.com
- Lions, Matthew Stafford finally strike a new dealNBCSports.com
- Matthew Stafford, Lions Agree on Contract to Make QB Highest-Paid Player in NFLBleacher Report
- QB Matthew Stafford agrees to 5-year extension with LionsABC News