The boy from Polk County, just introduced as the next chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, had come a long way from his childhood days playing public courses in rural Lakeland and Winter Haven, Florida.
So did Ridley’s colleagues at the law firm, especially the then and now images of the hairdo Ridley sported in his pairing with defending champion Jack Nicklaus in the 1976 Masters.
Instead, he took his law degree from Stetson and started working for Mark McCormack at IMG, where he managed the early career of Hal Sutton.
The door to membership at Augusta National opened in 2000, and the new member was quickly put to work as Chairman of the Cup and Tee Marker Placement Committee.
- Feeding off each other can have positive, negative effects for prosESPN
- Ridley takes over as new Augusta National chairmanThe Japan Times
- Pro golf: Billy Payne retiringSouth Bend Tribune
- I've disagreed with Billy Payne, but on some things we share the same tuneUSA TODAY
- Augusta National chairman Billy Payne announces retirementPGA.com
- Billy Payne retiring as Masters, Augusta National chairmanLos Angeles Times
- Timeline of Billy Payne's tenure as Augusta National and Masters chairmanThe Augusta Chronicle
- Payne stepping down as Augusta National chairmanQuad-Cities Online
- Payne retires as Augusta National Golf Club chairmanAsheboro Courier Tribune